Cannot make WebSocket connection without SSL

In my application I’m intentionally using Websockets without SSL (ws://…), but since version 16 Samsung Internet Browser automatically switches to wss://… and expects valid certificate which is obviously not there. It fails to connect with following error:

error
Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I think it is a bug. Is there any reason that it ignores my ws:// connection? Is there any way to fix it?

I’m not using SSL, because our application is intended to work in local/private network. It sets up small web server that is accessed with any web browser from the same private network by providing IP address.

We cannot easily switch to SSL because it causes further problems with self signed certificates. We don’t want to ask our users to install certificates, set up DNSes, etc. They are not technical people.

My issue may be the same as: https://forum.developer.samsung.com/t/is-there-any-method-to-disable-blocking-insecure-websocket-connection-in-version-16/17747

One more thing, it works in any other browser, including those most recent chromium based (eg. chrome 96).

When a browser shows the Err_ssl_protocol_error, it indicates the browser is no longer able to access or initiate the secured communication. There is no definite guide for managing this error. Follow given steps to resolve this error from Client side:

• Try correcting the system date and time.
  • Try clearing Google Chrome browsing data.
  • Try clearing your SSL State.
  • Try disabling the QUIC Protocol.
  • Try checking your antivirus settings.
  • Try enabling all SSL/TLS versions.

Also, this error is because of the following aerver side problems:

• Invalid SSL or SSL is untrusted (self-signed)
  • SSL Not installed properly
  • Old Technology or SSL/TLS version for encryption

Thank you for answering and trying to help. It’s appreciated.

Once again, my problem is that I’m NOT using SSL at all and I don’t want to use it.

I’m establishing connection with ws:// protocol.
The issue is that Samsung Internet Browser promotes it to wss:// protocol and there is no way to avoid this.