Limiting Quantity of Theme Releases, Return of New Tab

When I talk with users of Samsung devices, many say that there is a lot of “garbage” in the theme store and it is difficult for them to rake this dump. Limiting the release of new themes per week will increase the quality of products, since the designer will decide whether to release “garbage”.

3 Likes

An individual developer always puts more soul and skill into his themes! But we cannot afford to compete with companies with dozens of employees. Therefore, I consider the proposal to be sound and reasonable.

3 Likes

Yes I agree. I think that would be much better. I used to like searching for New themes, now it kind of seems like I only see the same ones. It’s strange because I use to download themes more often. Now it likes to choose what it thinks I like, I like searching through the New.

The actual app store is different in varying region for the links at the top of the home screen, and I haven’t figured out why or where…

In the States, I have Hot & New, Top Picks, Deals, Promo and Win.

But I’ve seen Hot & New, Top Picks, Video, Promo and Win

And in Argentina I’ve seen Steady, New, Brand, Top Picks and Hot Deal.

Why is it not possible to vote against in this vote? Such a vote does not give a complete picture.

The software does not allow for a negative response. When I submit the information to Product Managers I will include comments and rationale for a request.

Ron
Samsung Developer Community

While this topic is focuses on themes, the same can be said about watchfaces. We were asking for a system that would limit the number of watchfaces a developer can release for a while now. The idea was that the number of allowed releases would grow over time, as developer gets more experience, users or downloads but would still have a some sort of a final weekly limit. Perhaps a similar system could be applied for themes as well.

For example, a new developer can release 1 theme a week until he reaches 500 sales. Then the number goes to 2 a week until it reaches 5000 sales. Finally, it reaches the 3 a week limit. Next milestone should be even higher, like 100,000.

This results in several things:

• developers are pushed to focus on quality, rather than quantity

• the perceived variety increases since customer would see work from different developers

• there is no abuse and spam

• the system awards more successful developers, thus increasing the quality of content present in the Store

3 Likes

The argument I’ve heard against a weekly limit is that some sellers want to do a promotion where they release several related themes at one time. That is why the store lets you set a release date.

Also consider there may be one account for financial reasons but dozens of independent designers in reality.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

@r.liechty_SDP

I’m not sure where this argument is coming from, but I haven’t seen anyone say anything about that yet in this thread. I also haven’t heard this from any other developers I am in touch with.

Pretty much every developer I’ve spoken with agrees on the two things stated in the original post:

1. Removal of the New tab was a big mistake, and should never have happened.

2. The original New tab was being overrun by mass-market / low quality themes, and was slowly losing its benefit as time went on and more developers got onboarded.

If HQ is not willing to limit the number of themes being released per developer, then maybe they will be willing to accept a compromise. Do not limit weekly releases, but bring the “New” tab back and just limit the number of themes shown under New to 10 per week per developer. That way, developers can release all the themes they’d like but they would not overrun the New tab like they were starting to.

3 Likes

Jon, Interesting idea about limiting how many apps individual developer can have featured in the “New” section.

Ron, good point. However, if we limit app submissions rather than app publishing, then this could also be planned in advance. Let’s say you want to release 4 Christmas themes, but you only have 2 a week - start early, get them ready, uploaded and approved, and simply publish them at the desired time.

I believe there is a limit if submissions for Themes but it is relatively high.

This has been a good discussion, I will be gathering information and preparing my report next week.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

I don’t think it was a mistake. You are not talking about the other side of the problem. Developers are forced to make quality themes now. The number of low-quality content has decreased. Approving themes faster after removing the New tab.

I think 10 is too much. 2-3 themes per week from per developer is enough. Otherwise, it will again lead to an endless stream of low-quality themes that no one will buy in new “New” tab.
The movement of new themes in the New tab should not be very fast so that every new theme in this tab has a chance to be noticed. After all, are you achieving this? The highest chances should have quality content but not its quantity. The New tab should add themes information for users. The New tab should not be the only information as it was before.

1 Like

Developers are forced to make quality themes now. The number of low-quality content has decreased. Approving themes faster after removing the New tab.

This is false. There are still many companies who are mass-releasing low quality themes. Removing the New tab did not reduce the number of low effort themes produced, or increase overall theme quality. All it did was hide them from users, and in effect it has also hidden quality themes from users.

I think 10 is too much. 2-3 themes per week from per developer is enough. Otherwise, it will again lead to an endless stream of low-quality themes that no one will buy in new “New” tab.

This is also false. Our company, for example, is one that produces 5-7 themes per week. All high quality, animated, sounds, the works. We would like to grow and expand on this even further, but with big limitations such as 2-3 per week exposed in “New” then it is impossible. Cogul Planet is another developer who makes, overall, good quality themes and can produce even more than we can per week.

You have to find the right balance of themes per week per developer. If it’s limited too much, there is no room for growth in the future for developers. On the other hand, not limiting it at all wouldn’t benefit anyone due to the overwhelming number of low-effort themes released per day. I believe 10 per week is more than a fair number for both sides.

1 Like

I talked about how to equalize the chances of large and small developers to show their new themes. I think that the New tab should not be the main source of information about themes for users. Otherwise, it will again turn into a competition who will publish more. The New tab should only help the author show his content. In addition to the current information sources. It’s not necessary to show all your themes in the New tab. Any number of really high-quality themes will attract the attention of users to the author. I think the chances should be equal for all developers. Regardless of the number of published themes.

@r.liechty_SDP

Melanie was able to dig up this old screenshot of the store when it had a “New” tab to show this all a bit more clearly.

3 Likes

I’m agree with all points that our friends raised here.
Alberto Langton

1 Like

I think these criteria are too tough for new developers, especially if they don’t already have a decent size social media followers of their own. They would need to rely on Galaxy Store’s exposure, otherwise their paid content may never reaches 500 mark.

I don’t have suggestions right now. But I agree that the store needs some sort of quality control for both themes and watch faces.

Last year I noticed a developer who released a tone of watch faces that were just a GWD default digital clock and date with stock photo background. Such watch faces are fine for personal use, but they should have never been allowed to spamming the store. But yet they did.

BlockquoteI think these criteria are too tough for new developers, especially if they don’t already have a decent size social media followers of their own. They would need to rely on Galaxy Store’s exposure, otherwise their paid content may never reaches 500 mark.

Well, I suggested these numbers based on my own stats when I first started. Having 3 watchfaces released in the first month I had no problems reaching these numbers. At the time I had no social media channels, no advertising and barely had an idea as to what I was doing.

Competition was not as strong of course, but still, I’m sure 500 sales in first 2 months isn’t such a steep hill to climb. Having some limit would serve as a double filter - it would discourage those with poor quality watchfaces to spam and encourage others to release higher quality content.

Definitely would like the old “NEW” tab back, not the current one

1 Like

Last year? That watch face developer is still releasing 4-5 of those faces every day. I guess they must sell and be making money for Samsung because nothing has been done about it.

And there’s a new theme developer that has released about 10 themes where the only difference is the wallpaper. What’s the point, it’s just spamming the store and downgrades the work of those who put a lot of time into individually customizing every theme!

Bring back the NEW tab with restrictions :slight_smile: