Paging through resource listing

I have a fairly complex design with an unusually large number of resources statements (i.e. a large xml file). The designer handles this large xml file quite well except that it is slow, even on a fairly fast machine. Scrolling through the resource listing is extremely slow which I can understand. My question is there some way to move to the top or bottom of the listing and/or to page up or page down through the listing rather than just using the up or down arrow?

As an aside, it would be nice that when you select an element in the upper left hand design window, the resource entry for that selected element would also be selected in the resource listing and the resource listing scrolled to the resource.

You can scroll the layers list with clicking and dragging the slider on the right.
If you manage to click the desired element in the “design window” (if it isn’t completely covered with anything above it), it gets selected also in the list. Now if you move the layer one up and down with the arrows, the list centers on the selected layer.

Thanks for the reply but my GWD does not look like yours. I’m using 1.81 and there is no scroll bar and the layering controls are on the top bar, not at the bottom. What version are you using?

1 Like

Sorry, I mainly use 1.6.2. wasnt aware they removed the slider. But still on my other PC the 1.8.1 has the arows for editing layer order.

Again, I very much appreciate the suggestions. I will install an older version of 16 on another machine I have to check out the scrolling. Actually, I liked the older version better and why they removed certain features of the old version is beyond me. However, this is not unusual which is why I always keep the older versions of software. I think one of the reasons is that the programmers who create many of the software products don’t actually use them (for example, the programmers of Word do not write anything, the programmers of Excel likely do not do any financial analysis, and the programmers of the GWD do not design any watch faces. and I was as guilty as anyone of this having been programming for 53 years professionally, starting with toggling in the binary from the front panel switches. Similarly, when visiting BMW’s beautiful assembly plant in SC, I was told that very few of the workers can afford a BMW and so they have never driven the cars that they build everyday. But, I digress… Thanks, again

1 Like

Yeah, those arrows change the layer order, but they don’t let us scroll from top to bottom (or vice versa) of the full layer stack. That’s the problem if we don’t want to change order, but rather just want to easily maneuver through the whole layers stack (w/out moving layer location).

I have the same issue the other poster wrote in about in the same version of the software. And, I don’t want to change my version to avoid any inconsistencies with all the watch faces I’ve designed …

Yeah, I was just trying to name options (not all easy), when the mouse wheel is not easy enough…

I always appreciate it so much when people write in with ideas to try!

There seems to be a bug in the release I have (and I think the other person above has) that the interface is missing a scroll bar for the ‘coding’ layers. Hmmmm.

But, by you writing in, I discovered that it is possible to re-position layer elements using the arrows you talked about at bottom. So that’s a win! I learned something new.

Someone else also mentioned that the way they handle the scrolling issue I was trying to figure out was by using the scroll wheel on their mouse. It doesn’t scroll smoothly with my mouse. But at least that worked so I can get to the top/bottom of that coding layer stack. Win win. I learned 2 new approaches from you guys today. Thx!