Samsung themes has become a complete disaster with the tool and the validation

Hello, I’ve been a theme designer for 7 years now and have experience with a wide variety of theme tools.

However, I’m getting tired of the constant themes being rejected due to firmware and/or app software bugs that can’t be fixed by the designer.

It’s extremely annoying when customers write emails asking why the RTheme hasn’t updated to the new OS version yet.

Answer: Yes, sorry, but Samsung is not able to provide a working software. Please be patient.

First of all. The fact that themes have to be updated to the new OS version every year is unnecessary and should be urgently considered.

Since the themes are still based on Android 5, the strings don’t really change, only the previews. But you could simply add the note that the previews do not correspond to your own home screen and are a reference.

Because the themes are not getting fewer. Yes, I know that themes from Android P / Q or R also work on S, you can install them manually, also officially during the One UI Beta program.

Because wallpaper, AOD and icons from previous OS versions work, the possibility is not restricted. Why with themes?

The irony is that in most cases the previous OS versions work better than the current Theme OS versions. Why? Because Samsung builds the same bugs over and over again. Why is a mystery to me

The validation process is also a total disaster
Who came up with the validation criteria for rejections?

1. The problem that the device/application software needs to be fixed
  2. Problems that Themes Studio needs to be fixed
  3. Seller has to modify theme content

**This process needs to be improved as follows **

1. The problem that the device/application software needs to be fixed

Theme should not rejected, because the Designer can’t fix it with GTS. Relevant department of charge should be informed to fix it quickly through a device / application update. For the designer, this means a loss of sales and unnecessary extra work

1. Problems that Themes Studio needs to be fixed

Theme should not rejected, because the Designer can’t fix it with actual available GTS. Relevant department of charge should be informed to fix it quickly through a GTS Update. e mail should also be sent to the partners that the theme content must be updated with the new GTS.

The schedule for a GTS OS version update should also be changed and released at the same time as the one ui beta program.

Because the designer wants to offer his themes to the customer in his official update. But as described above, this could happen faster if you maintain the compatibility of the previous OS versions and adjust the MetaData accordingly in the respective apps. Yes it is possible, LG did the same. Android P themes work perfectly on Android Q or R.

The whole ecosystem gets better as a result, because the themes are not getting fewer from year to year, but more. Every year new useless updates, all of which could be avoided

What is also a big mystery to me is why errors are built into newer app versions that were not present in the previous version. Doesn’t the app development team work just in time with the GTS tool team?

How can it be that I find all errors within a few minutes and the GTS tool needs weeks to fix them? Example
**Calendar Version 12.3.00.2800 use color string drawer_background_tablet **
Calendar Version 12.3.01.1000 use color string drawer_background_color_tablet
Result. All already released themes are broken. New themes will be rejected

This must be avoided at all costs.

Here are all actual know Issues validation

@r.liechty_SDP
Please pass this on and it would be of external benefit to all involved if a questionnaire could be set up as to what the designers would like and what needs/could be improved. Possibly even possible during a meeting and/or a corresponding WhatsApp or Telegram group. Maybe on a closed members area.

I think that all designers want to offer the customer the best possible and fastest most effective service. This should also be in Samsung’s interest.

3 Likes

I have moved this to a Feature Request and if there are a huge number of views and votes for it that will have more impact.

Please pass the word to others to consider this a petition and vote for it.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like