Websites' dark mode gets overridden by Samsung Internet's dark mode

Hi,

I am working on a website where we have implemented dark mode according to w3’s specifications.

We are facing an issue where Samsung Internet forces its own color scheme regardless if we have specified the value Prefer Media Query Over Force Dark on the Force Dark Behaviour property in internet://flags.

I have followed a blog post where it mentions adding the <meta name=”color-scheme” content=”light dark”> in the head element to the website but the browser’s default dark mode theme still overrides the website’s styles.

This is reproducible in the example provided in the blog post: https://dark-mode-baseline.glitch.me/

Given: Prefer Media Query Over Force Dark is set for Force Dark Behaviour in internet://flags and the meta["color-scheme"][content="light dark"] exists

Expected: The browser applies the websites’ dark mode
Actual: The browser applies Samsung Internet’s dark mode

I am using version 18.0.4.14 on Android 12

1 Like

Is the issue is reproducible on Samsung internet beta v19? You will find it on the play store. They might have fixed it on this version.

I tried with beta version 19.0.0.48 and can reproduce the same behaviour there

1 Like

Any updates on this?

Hello,

I am pleased to let you know that this issue has already been fixed. The fix will be deployed in a future update. Due to the huge number of device models, it is hard to specify when each model will receive the update. What we can assure is, the fix will be preloaded on the new Samsung S23 models and gradually reach all other models.

Sincerely,
Samiul Hossain
Samsung Developer Relations

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the reply :tada:

1 Like

Hi Samiul,

I wondered if it is possible to give us an ETA on when this fix will be rolled out?

I’m still experiencing the problem on all Samsung devices, even using Samsung Browser version 21.

1 Like

Hello,

Welcome to the Samsung Developers Forums.

We are sorry to know that. Can you please provide us with a website link where we can check/reproduce the issue?

Sincerely,
Samiul Hossain

Hi Samiul,

I can reproduce the issue on https://dark-mode-baseline.glitch.me/ as an example.
Here is ss showing dark mode enables

Here is my browser version

Showing that the flag is set to default

Site in question in dark mode

Site in question in light mode

Site in question in Chrome in light mode, this is what I would be expecting in Samsung Browser

Please let me know if you need any more info.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you very much for such a detailed overview of the issue.

We have forwarded it to the development team. We will let you know as soon as we receive an update from them.

Sincerely,
Samiul Hossain

Hi there,

We are also affected by the latest update (21.0.0.41) where the rendering of our website’s QR code is affected because of Samsung Internet. Showing also the comparison of pre-update vs post-update on the exact same device (v20.0.6.5 to v21.0.0.41).

While we wait for this to be fixed, is there any work arounds? This currently breaks logotypes and QR-codes and the general color scheme on any page, is that even legal?

Hello andreas1,

We are sorry to know this. Can you please give us a live website link where the QR-Code functionality and/or colour scheme is broken by Samsung Internet? We will forward them to the development team.

Sincerely,
Samiul Hossain

QR code - Wikipedia
Any workaround for this forced mode?

Hello andreas1,

The Samsung Internet team has received your query and is working on improving QR code visibility in Samsung Internet’s dark mode. The improvement should be released in version 22 of Samsung Internet. For now, you can do the following:

1. Open Samsung Internet
  2. Navigate to Settings > Labs > Use website dark theme

Sincerely,
Samiul Hossain

It is not what I can do in my browser, it is what can I do on my webpage that prevents pictures from being distorted when customers is using this dark mode setting.

1 Like

Hi,

I am facing the same issue as mentioned above .

• forced dark mode overrides defined styles
  • white color within images are grayed out and opacity of images is altered

I have tested it on Samsung internet browser v22.0.0.54 , Galaxy s23 device and the issue still persist

We have used prefer-color-scheme: dark and <meta name=”color-scheme” content=”light dark”> within the webpage. Would need help in fixing this.

2 Likes

Seriously, but who came up with this color conversion system?
And the documentation provided doesn’t work either.

1 Like

I’m also experiencing the same problem as described above.

The colors on my site are shown incorrect in dark mode in the Samsung browser. It works fine in other browsers. I’m currently testing it on version 23.0.0.47 where the problem still exists.

Can you please help us with some workaround or estimation of when this will be fixed. I think that you have to revert this “feature” and make it configurable instead. The ones that create the web site have to have control and know how their site is going to be shown to their users.

2 Likes

I actually like the idea but… could you provide us, fellow developers, a way to operate, please?