A51 Sensor Controls

I don’t know, but recently I’ve noted that this galaxy camera can’t be manually sensor adjusted ISO and Exposure time. Well, in the camera built-in software, this is possible but not in API calls. Today, I call this methods to adjust manually the ISO and Exposure time regular Android Camera2 interface, say SENSOR_SENSITIVITY for ISO.
and [ SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME] (https://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/camera2/CaptureRequest#SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME) for Exposure.
But in this device (A51) does’t work. The image captured it’s very poor of brightness and very dark even with the values in maximum. I’ve missed something or it’s a bug on the firmware? In a S9 device works fine.

Hello,
Would you please share the software version of the device and more details of the issue?

Thank you,
Iqbal

OK. Below, the entire print-screen of the sofwtare page on the device.

I’m trying to manually control the “Exposure Time” and “ISO” from the camera in my application throught the API I’ve talked above, but I don’t get much result. It’s as the API can’t access the firmware or the hardware to make the changes. In another devices, works properly

Any idea about the problem?

I got same issue. My application do the below:

1. Turn of auto AE: set(CaptureRequest.CONTROL_AE_MODE, CameraMetadata.CONTROL_AE_MODE_OFF);
  2. Lock AE: set(CaptureRequest.CONTROL_AE_LOCK, true);
  3. Adjust exposure time: set(SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME, exposure);

The whole scene will be very dark, and SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME doesn’t work. My application works great with Samsung Note8, S20+, but not work with A51

I got same issue. My application do the below:

1. Turn of auto AE: set(CaptureRequest.CONTROL_AE_MODE, CameraMetadata.CONTROL_AE_MODE_OFF);
  2. Lock AE: set(CaptureRequest.CONTROL_AE_LOCK, true);
  3. Adjust exposure time: set(SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME, exposure);

The whole scene will be very dark, and SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME doesn’t work. My application works great with Samsung Note8, S20+, but not work with A51

Can someone help me?

The A51 camera returns limited hardware level, not full. Considering this phone is published in recent years, I thinks it’s a camera driver issue. This phone doesn’t support manual exposure time well, only the exposure compensation. As a work around, below steps do work:

1. Set(CaptureRequest.CONTROL_AE_LOCK, true) and do not set CONTROL_AE_MODE to OFF
  2. Adjust exposure with CONTROL_AE_EXPOSURE_COMPENSATION instead of SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME

In summary, the A51 does support CONTROL_AE_EXPOSURE_COMPENSATION , but the SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME doesn’t works well. I hope the Samsung team can fix the SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME issue.

It’s very sad to see how Samsung sells devices like this at high values and doesn’t provide decent support for apps to use one of the biggest differentials, the camera.

Let’s wait, maybe one day they’ll release a fix, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

1 Like

Similar issue. SM-A516N, Android 11.
I set AE_MODE to AE_MODE_OFF then tried to change EXPOSURE_TIME and SENSOR_SENSITIVITY. In my case, only EXPOSURE_TIME was effective. The value of SENSOR_SENSITIVITY was set in CaptureResult correctly, however the captured image was very dark.

It have been elapsed more than a year since the first post, however the issue seems to be still exist.

Anyone managed to solve this issue?

Hello.

Same problem here, but with A53.
When freezing and setting the AE values for a capture, the values end up being way too high and the image ends up being too bright.
The values, obtained by the AE algorithm, I have to capture using a timeout because the AE algorithm never ever converges.
The same issue drags into AWB as well. When the AWB values get written into the new capture request they end up too red.

Pretty much every Samsung I’ve tried has a bug on the camera driver, from AE and AWB errors to straight up memory leaks.