Galaxy Watch 4 support

Maybe this is a dumb question and the answer is obvious but I really wonder because there is not much information on this:

I have a few Web applications for Tizen watches (Galaxy Watch until Watch 4) with companion apps on Android side.
They work on these older watches but will they be able to work on the new Watch 4 with Wear OS.

I had to ask this because Web applications are not native tizen. They are javascript and normally should run well on a device with javascript interpreter.

Hi ilkeraktuna,

Did you look into Kotlin, I’d really be interested to know if that was an alternative.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Yes, but the question is “can we use Tizen”?

I read the question as can we use the same web app programs for Android as we did for Tizen.

Of course the TizenOS TPK will not run on WearOS APK

Ron

I see. I’m not familiar with Tizen and I’m trying to figure out if we (my company) should buy Galaxy Watch 4 to start a new development on or should we use Tizen with older watches.

My assumption is that Tizen is now dead, at least for watches?

I see. I’m not familiar with Tizen and I’m trying to figure out if we (my company) should buy Galaxy Watch 4 to start a new development on or should we use Tizen with older watches.

The advantage of designing an App for Watch4 is that your app will also run on many other WearOS watches not just Samsung.

My assumption is that Tizen is now dead, at least for watches?

Tizen OS is not dead even on Watches. If you look at any retailer they still offer Active2 and Watch3 watches along with the Watch4 and Watch4 Classic. There is a large pool of Tizen Watch owners that have even older versions that may not upgrade for years.

Ron

So the answer to this is no? All the work we did developing web apps was useless as they wont run on the watch 4? I have been trying to get a real succinct answer to this question for months and have not been able to.
I have several web apps that are using web sockets to talk to a server from the watch web app, there is no android companion app it runs 100% from the watch. I have not seen a way to emulate watch app only web sockets for Wear OS. So my app is kind of dead in the water now.