Since, this is a developers forum, I would be very much interested why other fellow developers are developing Galaxy Watch applications?
I am pretty brand agnostic, I have Apple Watch (non LTE, unfortunately), a Huawei Smartwatch 2 LTE (the last Android Wear OS watch from Huawei) and Samsung Galaxy Watch LTE.
I am a business application developer, and almost in every cases I am specifying customers as requirements what devices to buy. I am typically in a convenient position, my customers buy watches, phones, PDAs for our applications not the other way around, which is quite common in business (manufacturing, warehousing, logistics, field services, and so on and forth) application world.
The pros, I like with Tizen:
- Tizen Samsung Galaxy Watch is selling ok; after the much more popular Apple Watch is the second best seller just before Fitbit. Google WearOS is dead, unfortunately, even Huawei dropped Android from its watches.
- I love Samsung Notes with their pen support, Galaxy Watch is a perfect companion. I have Huawei Smart watch, but developing apps on a Android WearOS is not fun at all.
- Galaxy Watch is the only LTE watch in my country today officially supported by local telcos. Apple Watch is not available as an LTE version in my country, unfortunately, which is a bummer and shame.
The cons with Tizen and Tizen Web development tools:
- Tizen Studio is far from today’s standards. Samsung should focus on Visual Studio Code, the absolute top star today for wearable web application development.
- Tizen Web extension module for VSC is practically unusable today, honestly, no debugging device/emulator. I’d make a “React for Tizen with optional TypeScript” project template for Create React App, that would be really appealing to the hundreds of thousands of React developers.
- Unlike Apple Pay, Samsung Pay is not available in my country; I can use my Apple Watch for paying but not my Galaxy Watch. This could be important for business application arena, too.
What is your story?