How to retrieve image from chat message (MMS) (RCS)

Nowadays, if SMS/MMS message send over wifi/mobile-data on newer devices with Android 10/11/12, then these message are transformed into chat messages. I found out, that these incoming messages are stored now in “content://im/chat”. There is no broadcast intent-filter for new messages available :sob: :sob: :sob:

I pull for now every second field ‘address’, ‘date’, ‘body’ - but no image data :cry: :cry: :cry:

If somebody has a clue, how to fetch or retrieve image data from mms-chat rcs message, don’t hesitate to answer with code example. Maybe someone has also a good idea how to avoid periodically pulling “content://im/chat”.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching Samsung Developer Forum.

I have talked to the appropriate team regarding your issue. They let me know that RCS is not open to third-party developers. There is no URI you can hit to receive image data from the mms-chat RCS message. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by this.

Sincerely,
Samiul Hossain
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like

All my customers and I need is access to SMS, MMS with images in com.samsung.android.messaging app.

Before com.samsung.android.messaging app was standard on smartphones, I was able to use android.provider.Telephony.SMS_RECEIVED,
android.provider.Telephony.WAP_PUSH_RECEIVED to get informed about incoming messages and I was able to fetch the images from mms.

I found out that all new messages by com.samsung.android.messaging app are stored in content://im/chat.
There is no provider any longer, there is no android standard content resolver used any longer.
com.samsung.android.messaging app blocks access for third party developers to access messages on samsung phones.

The original google RCS message protocol is still not correctly used by com.samsung.android.messaging app team.
The access of data by third party developers is not limited based on Google guidelines, understand?

So what is the real problem of the Samsung developer team or especially their managers?

If there is “no URI you can hit to receive image data from the mms-chat RCS message”, then how can I access these images?
The main question is still how to access images in mms-chat RCS messages (on samsung smart phones with pre-installed com.samsung.android.messaging app).

My customer wants access to these images. It is ridiculous that Samsung shouts " that RCS is not open to third-party developers."

How to solve this problem?

a) fire these non cooperative managers?
b) provide an acceptable solution for third party developers making good android apps on samsung smartphones?
c) tell my customers to ban com.samsung.android.messaging app?

Tell me your next step. Asap.

Marian Kulisch, Senior Software Developer, R & D Center, KLCNS