If anybody’s still reading this thread, a quick update.
I have followed through this image-based approach suggested by Ron and now the watch face is happily available on Google Play. In fact, two watch faces — English and Estonian versions.
Thanks everybody for your ideas and suggestions, you’ve helped very much.
Let’s see where this will go now. I don’t count on it becoming a hugely popular watch face, I’m just happy that I worked one of my ideas into a real world app. But of course, if anybody would install it and drop me a line with some kind of feedback, I’d appreciate it very much.
Thanks again and see you around.
Oh . Wow . I have forgotten how many conditionals you were going for . I did a Roman Numeral thing which I posted on the community I think . If you feel like sharing the work post a Zipped version of your .wfs File here .
Well just downloaded it . Ready for my History Lesson . Perhaps you can teach me how to Remember stuff.
Really glad for your kind words, Russell. And ofc thanks for downloading, and posting here! And review on Google Pay! Much appreciated. And looks nice on your wrist!
I think I’d rather keep the .wfs for the time being. It has taken too many hours now to create it.
It’s 1440 conditional lines now, 1 for every minute.
I’ve used the watch face for weeks now, and seems it’s working ok, no excessive battery drain or other problems.
Happy history lessons!
Ron . Pardon me Invoking your help . Is to possible to say if using the Time Line for what @OttS has achieved on his History Face is more or less memory consuming than a Conditional tag in the Opacity Field .
I think I know your answer will be " Do a test " .
Re: memory consumption. I do not know the answer to Russel’s question. But as you might remember, I complained initially that as I added more and more Conditional Lines, the WFS program slowed down more and more. It became so slow that inserting a ca 6KB image took around 10 seconds (from the moment when I hit "“Open” in the image selection dialogue, until the image line and name finally appeared in the left corner of the program’s main interface).
But! When I grouped the conditional lines (in my workflow — by years, i.e. 60 lines in a group), the slowing down was considerably less. And it became even lesser when I hid most of the other Conditional Lines (in my workflow — I hid all groups that I did not currently worked on, and only when all images / CS’ls were inserted, I unhid / showed all lines again).
Hope this helps somebody.
Yes . Very Helpful . I did a short test between Time Line and good old fashioned Conditional Formula in the Opacity field . Interestingly the Memory load was exactly the same . I wonder how big your .wfs file is . I got up to 60 images and it was 2Mb. Images were 43k each so most of the load was the Images .
1440 minutes in 24 hours.
EST and ENG faces are different only in 2 aspects — (1) the name of the face in the upper segment, and (2) obviously the texts of the years/minutes. So the last difference means that there is one set of 1440 images in EST version, and a totally different set of 1440 images in ENG version.
WebP format allowed me to keep each image’s weight quite small while retaining quality, in average around 8-9KB I guess.