Unable to distinguish PWA from Samsung Internet browser

You cannot tell whether you are using PWA or a regular web browser with a Samsung Internet browser.

window.matchMedia(‘(display-mode: standalone)’).matches

When executing the code above, it is output as a result below.
pwa: true
browser: true

version: 20.0.0.65

1 Like

Same here.

This is really bad for anyone who has tied a login to an pwa.

Now users have to login to use the website in the samsung internet browser as well.

It seems newer versions of Samsung Internets runs every page in standalone display mode rather than browser display mode.

I will forward the issue to the Samsung Internet team and check if there is anything that can be done about this.

Best Regards,
Mobassir Ahsan

Hello

The Samsung Internet team has confirmed the issue. Hopefully, the issue will be fixed by one of the future updates next month (v20.0.6.X)

Best Regards,
Mobassir Ahsan
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue with Samsung Internet browser version 23.0.1.1. Can you please share what is the status on the distinguishing PWA from Samsung Internet browser issue?

Thanks!

Hello @eks9901,

I check the issue in Samsung Internet v24.0.3.4 and the code: window.matchMedia('(display-mode: standalone)').matches returned false

Could you please update your Samsung Internet version and check if the issue still persists for you? Thanks.

Regards,
Ahsan

Hi @Ahsan ,

We’re having a similar problem. We’re checking with the code window.matchMedia('(display-mode: standalone)').matches if the web is open in a Trusted Web Activity inside an Android App, and it returns always false, when it should return true. It works fine when the browser is Google Chrome.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Regards,
Ricardo