Galaxy Watch Studio Converter

The conversion tool only converts to Galaxy Watch4 and Galaxy Watch4 Classic so it can use double taps. WFS is designed to be used for all Wear OS Powered by Samsung devices.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Double taps work by changing the screen. This is all the benefits of a converter. Calories and kilometers donā€™t work. The clock needs to be reassembled so that things that donā€™t work can be fixed. Custom TAG works with big differences, the more kilometers, the bigger the error. Such watch faces may not be sold. Many Tizen style dials will not be inherited.

Everybody knows there are limitations, that are not going to be removed, they said the converter has no such priority and focus should be on WFS to support new platfom, no matter what trade offā€™s it brings.
Original creator should have original .gwd sources that can be adjusted and rebuilt for the converter to work. So why not fix known problems while in GWD/GWS and only then after use converter, instead of expecting it will be fully automated someday? Read between lines, it will not be.

1 Like

Noted, thanks.

Sorry, my post could have been misunderstood. Whilst I understand the limitations of the tool, I was referring to the recommendation posted in Developer page (see image below).

In order for the above recommendation to work, I believe that WFS-Converter need to save the file/s as .wfs - instead of .aab (.apk / .idsig). WFS also does not accept the .gwd file, it recognize only .wfs

Unless there is another work around which I may have missed. Because the above recommendation will greatly help publishers (like me) to learn WFS much faster.

Thank you

I tried to say, when you open the .gwd file in GWD program, adjust or remove features that the external converter tool (or the WFS) does not support. Save new version. Make new built .tpk and then convert it to .aab
Or try to import the .gwd file into WFS program, but to me this way it seems even more troublesome. Maybe I just did not have patience to experiment moreā€¦

1 Like

Awesome Peter! You da man, nailed it.

Yes, that ā€œimport GWD resourcesā€ works for me. I can figure out the rest - slowly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you ā€¦

And yes, I will also follow your latter suggestion on GWD component names and .tpk file name.

It says you can import GWS files not convert. This is not perfect as it does leave a lot to be desired it imports them all in one layer. The Tags are not converted and I donā€™t think Fonts are imported.

I think Peter has explained how to do fix something first in GWS then convert it. I think this is a better solution as there are many issues importing the GWS resources.

The first thing to know about WFS is that it is not GWS Things are done differently some a lot better some not so great.

Ron

Yes, got it. Thank you and thanks to Peter. Iā€™ve managed to utilize the ā€œimport GWD resourcesā€ and got one up. This is very useful for me.

Thank you all.

Hi, I was wondering, if there was a way to convert a apk file to tpk file. As I am using Watch Face Studios, rather than Galaxy Watch Studio.

Going forward, and I could be wrong about this, is that Tizen watches will die out. So my decision to build for WearOS is being dictated by this.

Iā€™d like to still support older watches.

Iā€™m aware that I could always download and install Galaxy Watch Studio, and just build it in that program.

But if thereā€™s a way to convert tpk files to apk, Iā€™m now wondering if you can convert it the other way, and save me some work.

Their is no conversion possible. You also canā€™t open a WFS project with GWS or import assets from WFS to GWS.

To upload watch faces to the Galaxy Store you must be an approved Watch Face Seller and the odds of being selected are very low. Unless it is for your own personal use it will be more trouble to learn GWS than it is worth.

Ron

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I believe I heard that before. Why is it so hard to become a approved Watch Face Seller? That seems kind of counterproductive, to limit developer support.

I do have some personal use. Friends and family members that have older Galaxy watches. That would love to use my Watch Faces.

Thanks for the info tho. I truly appreciate it.

Yes it was designed to limit the number of designers to allow a better review for Intellectual Property Infringement.

Ron

1 Like