Get PPG via health platform API

I’m trying to get PPG / HRV for a stress monitoring app, and I’ve looked at using Health platform API where it says that HRV_RMSSD is a datatype, but I’m not able to access it.

For context, I’m developing on a Samsung Galaxy 5 watch, and not a Samsung privileged partner. I’ve looked at the application, but I don’t think I have time to get it before my due for the app.

Does anyone know how to or could provide a code example?

The Health Platform API Version 1 was deprecated as of May 11, 2022.

You should use Health Connect now.

There are several tutorial Blogs on this.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

@r.liechty_SDR thank you for quick response. You wouldn’t happen to know how much time becoming a privileged partner usually takes? For my masters it seems like it may be the last options without having to switch out my entire thesis…

The Privileged Health Partnership in the US should not take very long to be approved. I don’t know about the EU and I don’t think it is available in any other countries yet but it may be. Go ahead an apply but I don’t think it is necessary… but then you might need much more data than I assume.

Did you read this tutorial Measure and Transfer Heart Rate Data from Galaxy Watch to a Paired Android Phone

There are several heart rate data types in the Health Services on the Watch

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Hi @maja , I am exactly in the same situation as you. How have you solved? Have you used the hr_raw sensor?

@r.liechty_SDR I think @maja refer to ppg data, not only BPM, which from what I understood is the only one publicly available. Am I wrong?

The only option for accessing advanced sensor I found was applying for the Privileged Health Partnership, but you it is supposed to be possible to access sensor data such as HRV from Android Health Connect, however this removes the possibility to do live-analysis as of my understanding…

@maja thank you for your reply. Before applying for the privileged SDK, I am trying to use the HR_raw sensor (69682), which has as output an array of 16 values, but I have not found their meaning anywhere. Have you tried using it?