Health Connect confusion

I would like to read steps from Samsung Health in my custom app.
We’ve been using the Health Platform API to read steps which almost worked fine.
Now I can see that the Health Platform is deprecated and Google recommends using Health Connect.
How to use it? does it still require Health Platform installation?
My Health Connect app doesn’t detect any of Samsung data sources.

Hi Dan,

Correct you cannot access Samsung Health API any longer even in Developer Mode. You can get steps from Wearable Health Services API

If you have an Health or Fitness App and wish to partner with Samsung you can request the Privileged Partnership. However that is limited and mainly (but not limited) to corporations.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like

Hi Ron

Can Android mobile app get Samsung Health App data (mobile data & watch data) with Android Health Connect API? In other words, there is no need to write a separate wearable app for watch device, is it right?

Thanks

Hi Ron,
What you linked (Wearable Health Services API) is what I referred to as Health Platform which is deprecated. Health Connect is mentioned as a replacement and that it will work with Samsung. But I cannot see anywhere how to use it to access Samsung data.

We wish to partner with Samsung and we are a corporation.
If we apply for the Privileged Partnership, will that allow us to instal SDK and read watch and phone steps from Samsung Health into our app? it looks like it’s only allowing to access watch sensors which we aren’t exactly interested in. We just want the steps figure that is showing in the Samsung Health App.

Also, am I right in thinking that there are two routes to getting Samsung Health data?

1. Through Partner program (sdk)
  2. Health Platform API (now deprecated, replaced with Health Connect)

thanks

Thanks for the update on the Health Connect I’ve updated my links I hadn’t caught that earlier.
If we apply for the Privileged Partnership, will that allow us to instal SDK and read watch and phone steps from Samsung Health into our app?

If accepted you can get the Tizen / Android SDK now you just can’t use it to access data without a key. I don’t know if a premier partner uses that or if it is some other process.

Also, am I right in thinking that there are two routes to getting Samsung Health data?

1. Through Partner program (sdk)
  2. Health Platform API (now deprecated, replaced with Health Connect)

Samsung Health Data has been different than accessing sensors but I don’t know if that is true now. Samsung’s Algorithm is proprietary so for example when say steps activity starts and stops or distance is measured will be different.

I see like Samsung Health you have to be approved for the Health Connect too.

I’ll see if I can find a contact and get more information.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations