How to access PPG raw values on Galaxy Watch 4

Hi,

I’m trying to develop a wear OS application based on PPG sensor data, but it seems there is no way to retrieve these informations.
Do developers have access to the ppg sensor on the Galaxy Watch 4 ?

Hello mehaw

The sensors Data API is documented in Android Developer Documentation. To get some health-related data, you can try Wearable Health Services. The processing of these data involves the use of strong algorithms. Currently there is no way to access raw PPG sensor data without Samsung Privileged SDK.

Can you provide a guide to access ppg sensor data using “Samsung privileged health sdk”?

I don’t know how to access ppg raw data just from the information on the “Health Services on Wear OS  |  Android Developers” site

Currently, I received “Samsung privileged health sdk” without forming a partnership.

At this time, I want to make a ppg measurement on the Galaxy Watch 5.

Please give us feedback based on the following

• There is no partnership.
  • Use “Samsung privileged health sdk”.
  • Instead of using a typical cell phone, they want to measure ppg raw data using only the Galaxy Watch5.

Hello shindonghwi8940,

Firstly, you will not be able to access the Samsung Privileged Health SDK without partnership. You can go through this link for details.

This is not the Samsung Privileged Health SDK, as you have already gone through the “Health Services on Wear OS | Android Developers” site, and you will not get any raw data through this Health Service SDK. To get some health-related data, you can try Wearable Health Services. The processing of these data involves the use of strong algorithms. Here are some sample apps using the Wearable Health Service API, and you can check this for a better understanding of how to use this API and so on.

Thanks

If you look at the information explained on the site above, you can get raw data such as ecg and ppg.

If you have a partnership, you can use the Samsung Privileged Health SDK, so can you provide an example or guide document to import ppg data through the Samsung Privileged Health SDK?

I’m asking you because, from what I’ve looked at, the Android Developer site doesn’t provide a way to get raw data

Hey shindonghwi8940

You can get a document and sample code on Measure Blood Oxygen Level and Heart Rate on Galaxy Watch by clicking on this link.

I’m sorry, but what I’m trying to say is not the heart rate or blood oxygen concentration in the basic example.

In fact, if you look at the example, you can only extract heart rate and blood oxygen concentration.

In addition, I would like to talk about how to measure other raw data such as ppg and ecg.

I want to be provided with a document to extract raw data (ppg, ecg), except for examples that use limited functions (github sample such as heart rate, blood oxygen concentration) in the basic example.

Please do not provide sample apps or Android Developer health service links

There is no documentation on the ability to extract raw data here. (If there is a document that can extract the ppg and ecg that I couldn’t find, I would appreciate it if you could provide the exact link. )

Alternatively, please provide a clear documentation on the ability to extract ppg, ecg from the Samsung Privileged Health SDK

1 Like

And how can i get the Samsung Privileged SDK ? is the request easily accepted or there are conditions to be accepted ?

Hey mehaw,

You can apply to join through the partnership applications found here. Go through this application form; you will find all the requirements and necessary things you have to do.

Your question was well explained. Have you solve your problem or made any apps for getting ppg sensor raw data?

Yes, we solved the problem around January, 23.

1. The first priority is to form a partnership with Samsung.

2. If you form a partnership with Samsung, you will see a hidden menu on the Samsung developer’s website.

3. You can download the Samsung Privileged Health SDK there.

This file contains a .aar file and a Development Guide document that allows you can use.

1. This allows you to measure and receive information on raw data such as ppg and ecg, and create the app you want.

In my case, I created a Watch App that periodically collects ppg green raw data.

Thank you. Have a good day

Congratulations for successfully do the job and thanks for your immediate response with kind information. The app you have developed, is that available in play store or any store? Can you provide the app link (if it’s free).

Dear Shindonghwi8940

I hope this message finds you well. I am a dedicated undergraduate student at North Western University, currently finalizing my thesis in “Machine Learning”. I am deeply impressed by the capabilities of your app in providing raw PPG sensor data.

With sincere respect, I am writing to kindly request access to the raw PPG sensor data from your app for the sole purpose of my undergraduate thesis. My research is centered around Stress Prediction using ML, and your raw data would be invaluable in validating my findings.

I assure you that the data will be used solely for academic and research purposes, and I am committed to maintaining the highest level of confidentiality and respect for your app’s intellectual property (if it’s not free).

Your support in granting me access to the raw PPG sensor data would significantly contribute to the quality and credibility of my thesis. If there are any necessary formalities or terms you require, I am more than willing to accommodate them.

Thank you for considering my request. Your generosity in sharing this data would greatly impact the success of my research. Please feel free to reach me at hosainandh@gmail.com if you have any questions or if there is a convenient time for us to discuss this further.

I sincerely appreciate your time and consideration.

Best regards,

Md Hosain Sarder
North Western University, Khulna

Hey @shindonghwi8940 ,
I am currently working on a Samsung project that requires raw data extraction of various sensors available on the watch. We are working with the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4.
Are you sure that forming a partnership with Samsung and getting access to the Samsung Privileged Health SDK will solve the problem?
If yes, please respond and also mention if there are any alternatives to do it.
Thank you. Have a nice day.

I don’t know how the current process works, but it did when I worked on it in January of 23.

I don’t think there was any other alternative. In my opinion, forming a partnership is the fastest way to get the information you want.

Thank you. Have a good day