You are not the only one, i have already stopped creating watch faces (and it’s not about the WearOS move). I definitely understand your point on the exposure and the promotions. I however think, that all this was a planned move from Samsung’s side. If you put all the things that changed in the last year it almost seems like a pattern:
- First was the pledge (meaning that only active devs would continue)
- Reduction of promotion places
- Eliminating the Banners, and accumulating promotions in Groups (goes side by side with the reduction of places)
- Inability to update the GWS for Mac (later we found out that it moves to HoneyFace but it was a very frustrating 7 month period with just promises. Finally a developer alone port it and did what a devs team was unable to do.)
- Bugs in GSS (i didn’t know any more what i sell and how much i will get paid until the financial report)
- Switching to WearOS (lack of communication etc etc)
- HoneyFace Beta was given only to a handful group of developers to test which happened to be the top developers allowing them to convert .gwd files for the new platform. What wasn’t taken into consideration is that when you are not a top developer, you work more on the design and the implementation, bringing innovations more than a well established developer that will sell either way.
- Uncertainty of what’s the next steps in Wear OS (will our accounts transfer or we start from 0 in the new platform?)
All this seems to me that there was a target from the beginning, being to reduce the number of developers which Samsung allowed to grow with no control.
I think this will even be my last message before my account will close due to inactivity. I decided to sell my designs to anyone who is interested to continue development.
If anyone interested, the designs will be appearing at https://getwearableassets.com/