Syncing data is unreliable between Samsung Health and Health Connect

We are using the Health Connect app to read Active Calories, Total Calories, Metabolic Rate, Exercise Session, Steps and Sleep Sessions from our Android application. The data we are obtaining is rather inconsistent with what we ca see in the Samsung Health app:

• Way fewer data entries are present in Health Connect than in Samsung Health. For instance, I have plenty of exercise sessions for the past few weeks in Samsung Health, but in Health Connect I found only one exercise entry which is almost 2 weeks old
  • Sometimes, some data types, like Metabolic Rate, are missing entirely. We tried to reinstall/reconfigure the two apps several times, but the data we found in Health Connect seems to be indeterministic.

Troubleshooting steps we tried so far:

• Follow instructions from this article
  • All read/write permissions were granted
  • No other app interferes with the data
  • Reinstalled/reconfigured Samsung Health and Health Connect several times, in different order
  • Triggered sync from Samsung Health (using pull-to-refresh on main screen and Settings->Sync with Samsung account

We’re using the following setups:

1. Samsung Galaxy S21, Galaxy Fit 2, Samsung Health Version 6.23.3.003, Health Connect Version 2023.01.26.00.release
  2. Pixel 7 Pro, Samsung Watch 4, SH version 6.23.3.003, HC version 2023.01.26.00.release

Do you have any hints on how we can make data sync more reliable? Is there any planned update for Samsung Health app which addresses similar issues?

1 Like

I heard that there would be more changes in Samsung Health and Health Connect but I don’t know what that entails.
However, I’m a bit confused

1. Samsung Galaxy S21, Galaxy Fit 2, Samsung Health Version 6.23.3.003, Health Connect Version 2023.01.26.00.release

Galaxy Fit2 is FreeRTOS not Android it should not work with Health Connect at all.

1. Pixel 7 Pro, Samsung Watch 4, SH version 6.23.3.003, HC version 2023.01.26.00.release

Do you have the Share Data enabled in your Samsung Health app settings?

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Thank you Ron for your answer! I have enabled “Sync with Samsung account” and granted all permissions to Health Connect app. Do I need to enabled anything else? From what I can see, Samsung Health is able to read and write data to Health Connect, but it writes far less data than I have in Samsung Health itself.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 12.52.50
health_connect_allowed

Is there a list of supported devices, compatible with Health Connect? Do you happen to know anything about the timeline of the planned Samsung Health and/or Google Health updates?

Thanks,
Ernest

From what I can see, Samsung Health is able to read and write data to Health Connect, but it writes far less data than I have in Samsung Health itself.

That is correct some health data requires regulatory approval in every country I think EKG is one of those. I think some others were just buggy

Is there a list of supported devices, compatible with Health Connect?

Not devices but I believe it is Wear OS 3 and newer but there will be a new Wear OS 3.1 version and that may be required.

Do you happen to know anything about the timeline of the planned Samsung Health and/or Google Health updates?

Samsung does not announce release information. There is Now in Android documentation from the Wear OS home page that give some information but I don’t see any new release information specifically on Health Connect.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations