Samsung Health not writing steps to Health Connect?

We’re using the Health Connect API in our app to read step counts. (Our app is an app for people in physical therapy, and the step count is helpful for their doctors to monitor their progress.) While other apps such as Google Fit and Fitbit write step count to Health Connect, the Samsung Health app does not seem to do so; in fact, it is not in its list of permissions (see attached image).

Is this an oversight? Are there plans to write step data to Health Connect?

Hello,
You can create a support request. They will give you faster response. Make sure you share below information when you create the request:

• Watch Dumpstate log
  • Video where the issue and reproduction steps are clearly visible
  • Sample app or code snippet

Hope your issue will be resolved :blush:

Thanks

1 Like

See this topic @devPerson has brought up the same issue and it appears already connected with the Health team.

If you and he agree I can pass on the email addresses so you can contact each other privately.

By all means still contact support as Boshra instructed.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Hi @ste1603137554

I got an answer to this question from the person I am communicating with directly through developer support. Steps are going to be rolled out sometime in February 2023. We were also pretty disappointed by this :frowning:

3 Likes

Hopefully we can get this update soon to sync step numbers.

1 Like

Hi. Any update on this matter? Was the update rolled out? Thanks.

1 Like

There was a teaser about this in the Wear OS site. It is all a bit over my head but I would say to look for changes in April Wear OS update. But then I may be reading into something not there.

Ron

It’s fixed now. Make sure you go to Health Connect settings and enable Steps under Write Access for Samsung Health.

It’s not working. the Samsung health app sync everything except steps, even though it was turned on in the settings.

1 Like

It’s updated to include steps in the permissions, but even when switched on it still isn’t writing steps, there is no record in Health Connect.

I’m thinking Health Connect updated to include the permissions, but Samsung health still isn’t playing friendly. Hopefully we get an update soon.

1 Like

This is a pretty serious problem. Samsung Watch is essentially a closed/locked down platform in terms of steps. My friends and I use StrideKick. I’m going to have to scrap my Samsung Watch whereas those with Apple, Google, Garmin and FitBit watches integrate just fine.

I have the same problem so I have switched back to an app called Health Sync to sync between Samsung health and Google Fit. There are other destination options you might wanna check out until they fix this.

Hey there,

I’m facing the same issue (with “inactive” steps not being written in Health Connect).

As devPerson said last november: Steps are going to be rolled out sometime in February 2023. Is there any news about this as we are almost in March :smiley:

Thanks

I heard indirectly this spring but Samsung doesn’t ever commit to a time frame for updates or what they will contain.

Ron

Any news about it? Samsung Health does not write anything in Health connect

I believe this is going to be corrected in a new version of Wear OS. I don’t have a release date on that other than sooner than later.

Ron

Hi has there been any update on Samsung Health writing daily steps to Health Connect?

I got a Wear OS update last week and the only change was updated Samsung Health. I noticed some new features and I think it added Health Connect fixes. You may want to check and see if that happened I’m not a Android Developer so I don’t know it it fixed that.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Do you have any news about if it works or not since last month ? :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

I do not know, I heard from the Watch Face Studio team that the Health data they were using would not be available until Wear 4 (One UI 5) is released. I noticed the last update has a setting to share health data to Health Services but I don’t if that is new or something I never noticed.

The Samsung News Announced a IHRN feature to be added this summer in some markets. I take from that there will be a new version of Health this summer but release dates are never published except in broad terms like summer.

Ron