Accessing Skin Temperature Sensor Measurement from Galaxy Watch 5

Hi,

I am a researcher working on accessing sensor data such as Heart Rate, and Skin Temperature using the Android API level 33. We would like to use Galaxy Watch 5 as a monitoring device during the project.

Currently, we developed a WearOS application using API level 33. We can read Heart Rate measurements continuously (e.g., every second). However, API does not provide a constant for reading the Skin Temperature measurements. So, I would like to ask 3 questions below about Skin Temperature Sensor:

When would it be possible to access the Skin Temperature Sensor measurements using the “API”?
What will be the refresh rate? (e.g., measures every second or averages once every minutes)
Would it be possible to change the refresh rate? (e.g., increase the measurement frequency)

Thanks.

I’ve moved the question to Watch Face Studio as some Wear OS Developers visit that forum. Unfortunately since this is a Wear OS question and not a Samsung Tools question.

But This Documentation may help determine the sensors and how to access them.

There are Several other blog tutorials created in 2022 that should help you get started.

Hope this helps.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like

Hi Ron,

Thank you for moving the question and the documents. Unfortunately I can not access the Skin Temperature Sensor using Android API level 33. I use the namespace and event below:

I first trigger “onSensorChanged” event. Then I use the constants under “android.hardware.Sensor” class to check available sensors, (e.g., TYPE_HEART_RATE). Unfortunately, there is no “Skin Temperature” constant.

I might add one more question:

Would be possible to measure “skin temperature” when you are NOT sleeping? If yes, when would it be possible?

Thanks.

@daldalelif88

I’ll see if I can find an answer or somewhere to send you for an answer.

Ron

1 Like

I had no luck getting any help from the few Samsung Health team contacts I have.

Sorry, I hope you can find some solutions somewhere.

Ron

Hi, is there any solution for this ? as I wanted to build an app which can measure human skin temperature, but there is not any public API avaliable one is avaliable from Samsung but it gives only bogus data not real one, for real data i need to join Partner App Program. (Which I have joined but not sure will Samsung allow me or not).

With Wear 4 (which all Samsung Wear OS Based watches have) you use Health Connect to get the information from the watch to the mobile The Health Connect API

Has Basal Body Temperature and has Body Temperature Record.
(BodyTemperatureRecord  |  Android Developers)** That allows you to get measurements on both Samsung and other Vendors watches such as the Pixel Watch.

Ron

1 Like