Bug: Share Target API doesn’t receive files in TWAs

I have a packaged PWA as a Trusted Web Activity using bubblewrap for distribution to Google Play and the Galaxy Store. It registers as a share target for files from other apps. When the user’s default browser is set to Chrome (i.e. the TWA renders using Chrome), the app correctly receives any files shared to it.

However, if Samsung Internet is the default browser, files are not received. When debugging on v14.0.1.62, it just opens the homepage (start_url), and not the specific action URL defined for Share Target. There are no errors in the devtools console. The app does still appear in Android’s share sheet, though.

I should note that the Share Target API works correctly if the PWA/website is installed from the Samsung Internet installation prompt (like a WebAPK). This only affects TWAs.

Link to the TWA in question: MConverter - Galaxy Store
Direct download: https://mconverter.eu/app-galaxy.apk

Hello @mar1591347657 ,

Hope you are doing well. We are very sorry to hear about your inconvenience.
We will be communicating with the Samsung Internet Developement team about your query.

In the meantime, we would like to request you to share two screen recordings:

• one of the expected behaviour and
  • another of the issue

to help us better understand your query.

Best Regards,
Shuvo
Samsung Developer Program

Hello @shuvo.saha,

Here are the screen recordings you requested:

Regards,
Martin

Hello @mar1591347657 ,

Thank you for sharing the screen recordings. We are currently communicating with the Samsung Internet Browser Development team. We will reach out to you as soon as we have any new updates. Thank you again for your patience.

Best Regards,
Shuvo

1 Like

Hello @mar1591347657 ,

Hope you are doing well! Sorry for the delay in response.
The Samsung Internet Developement has patched the root cause of the issue.
The patch is expected to be released by July, in Samsung Internet Browser version 14.2.1.

We would like to request you to wait for this version and try again. Thank you again for your patience!

Best Regards,
Shuvo

1 Like