Burn in protection?

I keep hearing people worrying about screen burn in for GW4. Is this an issue and if so, do you include an AOD shift routine by default for all your projects?

I doubt it would matter so much in short live of the smart watch. If used to fullest, the battery would need replacement in about 2 years. In about 3 years some sensors and buttons may fail. I guess people usually switch for new model/brand in such times, before the burn in becomes unacceptable.

I was trying to figure how could it be reduced in the preview.
Here are some results of my experiments

Hello.
On the WearOS platform, Watch Face does not need to implement the AOD shift routine. If necessary, the screen is automatically shifted by the platform.

For reference, Galaxy watch 4 device does not shift the screen because the display does not require AOD shift, and may be shifted on some other devices. In order to prevent the problem that some of the information is not visible due to AOD shift, it is recommended not to place information that users want to read in edge area.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, guys. However, I see some people are complaining online about burn ins on the GW4. Should we be concerned?

Just a small overview for static elements.

Everything is based on RGB (red, green, blue).
I have created black squares with different transparencies on top of the color shapes.

What you see in the example image are the thresholds of the transparencies before we change from Neutral to Bad.

WFS handle all 3 single colors identically.

When you just using one of this 3 colors (pure blue, pure red or pure green) its very effective.
When you combine 2 colors its getting worse.
White, respectively gray is in principle a no go IF they are static elements (e.g. analog index).

If the objects move, so that the pixels are not illuminated or not used for a while, you can increase the brightness massively (try and error). For example analog hands, where the center is not overlapping.

Unfortunately not every user has an understanding for the problems on the AOD.

1 Like

When I got a Watch3 I gave my Granddaughter my Gear Sport and she is still using it today with no issues. I haven’t seen anyone posting a remark about GW4 burn in but I don’t read a lot of the social groups.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

On my Watch4Classic 46mm i have been using static analog elements bright colors white included on AoD for longer periods. Have been using it for 6 x months till date no burn in.

I have seen such reports mainly from reddit users and they do exist.

Perhaps chances are some one who keeps watch in AoD with bright white elements lets say for more than 6 hours and doesnt even flick the watch to let it go to main display. Or doesnot uses tilt to display or uses it at full brightness or uses auto brightness may run into such issues.

My watch4classic use has been with always on permanently enabled but i use tilt to display from time to time which does move the pixels lets say around every 10 mins i check time lol.

I have used AoD without doing this perhaps for more than 5 hours at a stretch when busy and i have never had any issue.

I dont use auto brightness on neither my Note 20 nor my watch and max brightness is always at 4 clicks.

I consider auto brightness a non effective solution for me. It gets either too dim in lit areas and too bright in dark areas

@Osman Means you are using the AOD images even when the WFS showing on the Burn in Map “bad areas”?

Well frankly i have not been worried about burn in map If the Samsung Studio if it doesnt report AoD too brighter than the required OPR 15.

If that happenen i have always been lowering the brightness of the AoD and run it again and change it again till it reaches at required OPR.