I can't understand AOD on WFS

Hi all .

I don’t understand how AOD works on WFS .
On Gear designer I could even dim the WF and the burn maps showed it is fine . Here even digital hour is too much .
Moreover ,any change I do on AOD reflects also on the regular watch . It worked so much better on Gear designer , what happened ??
I tried to find some manual on how to use it correctly but couldn’t . Any help would be much appreciated .

Hello, everything has its pros and cons.
On GWD some people got confused which design they were working on. It was not possible to copy duplicates of components from “active” to AoD design one by one (either all or noting).

In WFS, when inserting new component, it is set to appear in both modes by default. If you want change its visibility in some of the modes, you have to select that mode, select the components layer and hit the button with crossed eye, or hit the eye on a layer (even unselected) directly.
If you want to use modified version of element in AoD mode, you can make duplicate and set it to be displayed in AoD only and the original in normal only.

There is also documentation to WFS on android developers page, but it is very brief on AoD topic:

1 Like

Thank you for that . That actually helped to solve part of the problem .
The burn in issue is still remains . No matter what I do and how low the OPR is I get the same results on the map .
Any idea ?

I would not panic. Red color on map is not preventing anybody from building and using such face. The OPR controls overal power usage, while the map only local over-time degradation of pixels, which may not be noticeable, before the watch breaks down on its own (usually first battery needs change around 2 years, then some sensors and repairs become nonviable).

I think the “bad” burn in will always be on the spots that do glow the most time. That should not be anything unexpected and can only be fixed by using low intensity colors or by moving the most glowing areas around screen.

I did test with white time on top, white, pure green, red and blue times, all covered with 50% opaque black square below. The 50% white on left was static position, on right was oscillating ±10px around its position.

My conclusion is, that the 3 grade scale good normal bad is too crude to show any real difference between full white and 50% grey text, especially on fixed text like on your screen. It also does not consider the OLED screens burn in differently in separate colors (the blue allegedly the most).

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed answer !

1 Like

You are welcome. Out of curiosity i tried different oscillation patterns and it also plays some small role.
White times in top half were covered with one, in the bottom with two layers of 50% opaque black square.
those on left orbited once in hour, those on right once in 12h and the top one and bottom one once in some uneven number between.
my conclusion is, the overal lightness is more important than actual pattern in short oscillation (10px).
when I left the time text orbit around whole screen, there was no red spot even with full white text.

1 Like