Clash of health elements and weather elements

Hello everyone,
I have just started to create my first watchface and to my surprise the software doesn’t allow me to use weather elements and health elements simultaneously. This is while in some stock watch faces on active2 both weather and health features are present.
Is there a reason for this limitation?
Are there any workaround to have them both in a watch face?

1 Like

Try it on Tizen Studio.

Galaxy Watch Designer does not have a license to access the weather information on the Watch and requires a separate API. That application programming interface is not compatible with the application programming interface used for health.

The GWS Development team has been working on this issue for years but so far no suitable solution is in place.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

1 Like

Hello,
the stock watch faces were not made using GWS, nor tizen studio. Tizen studio might allow both features, but its more of a programmer tool, so the learning is not easy.
There are third party platforms like facer or watchmaker allowing to put both data on the watch face, yet I can not recommend them, because they need companion app running on the phone, and cause higher energy consumption on both. They also allow you to publish your creations.

2 Likes

Came here to ask the exact same thing. It boggles my mind why they put it in the UI but don’t allow both to be used at the same time…

1 Like

Thank you all for the helpful responses. It’s a pity that this limitation exists. It seemed rather trivial at first but looks like there is more to it. I will also leave this response by another member of the Samsung Development Team here for future reference for people who might face this issue:

This is a limitation of Galaxy Watch Studio (GWS) that you can not use weather components with health components (see more here). If you want to display both health and weather data on the same watch face, you could set an image as a button that opens either the default weather app or the S-Health app on the watch. For example, if you use the health components, then set a button to open the default weather app. Or, if you use the weather components, then set a button to open the S-Health app. As you mentioned some stock watch faces are using both weather and health components together, those watch faces were not developed by GWS. If you want to use weather and health components simultaneously in your watch face design, you must use Tizen Studio and also need to have some coding skills. You can download Tizen Studio from here. Therefore, we hope you understand everything and please let us know if you have any further query.

This is technically not correct.
You can use weather and access Galaxy Watch sensors but you can’t access Samsung Health API in Tizen at this time. A frequent complaint I see is that Tizen studio designed apps and watch faces do not match Samsung Health.

Ron

So what should we use to access all data simultaneously?
-steps
-heartrate
-weather
-temperature
-timezone

This is technically not correct. You can use weather and access Galaxy Watch sensors but you can’t access Samsung Health API in Tizen at this time. A frequent complaint I see is that Tizen studio designed apps and watch faces do not match Samsung Health.

Oh wow a point of contention between two developers :smiley:
Now I kind of understand the limitation, but I find it even more baffling that Samsung hasn’t made its fitness application compatible with its own wearable operating system.
If I understood correctly, at best I would be able to pull sensor data directly to the watch face using Tizen Studio.

Samsung Health uses a proprietary algorithm to determine health factors. For example it starts a workout after 10 minutes of activity and it resets the numbers at midnight local time. There are other things but those are generally the ones that I hear about.

Samsung has announced it plans on making this API public at some point, until then developers have to access the sensors and do their own method of fitness tracking.

Ron

To access the Data you can do that as a native app using Tizen Studio. Samsung Health is an App not data. If you want to do this in GWS, you use a button to pop up Samsung Health if you are primarily concerned about the weather or a button to pop up Samsung Weather if you are primarily concerned about health and fitness.

I apologize for making a simple idea more complex that I should have.

Ron

Thanks a lot Ron for your responses.
I will stick to using the Watchmaker app as I don’t have the time to learn Tizen Studio, and hope that Samsung brings those changes and GWS can finally get around those limitations.

I work with Tizen studio and GWS.
GWS was created to create watch faces.
I don’t particularly understand designers who keep asking for more features in GWS when Tizen studio already exists.
If you want to add new functions to the watch faces, learn programming and use Tizen studio that was created for this purpose.

1 Like

If you want to add new functions to the watch faces, learn programming and use Tizen studio that was created for this purpose.

Let me guess, you also have an IQ of +160

I don’t know my coefficient.
I have simply given advice.
I have only discussed the purpose of both software.
Understand that work costs and not everything can be done.
If you have bothered my comment, I apologize.
My intention was only to encourage them to run both programs.

Hi Ron,

Any update from Samsung about that?
Any chance Samsung can share source code of their dashboard watchface as a good example of integration of both health and weather data?

Weather is a licensing issue
Health is an issue of the application programming interface is not public
Samsung preinstalled watch faces use layers below the operating system so end users couldn’t use it.

Ron

I’m new to galaxy watch and watch-face development, but as what I’ve learned - weather is available (by providing a separate license token) in GWS, as well as health information. But they can’t be used both (still I don’t understand why, but obviously technical difficulties exist). Do you know if any work is being done in this area and we all can enjoy both data available in the nearest future? That will be hugely beneficial for developers and device owners.

In GWS I can access health data from S-health, but there is no API available via Tizen/Visual studio (for both C++ and C# options), correct? What about this? https://developer.samsung.com/health/server/partner-only/environment.html

Again - having such a powerful product (S-Health) and limiting abilities to integrate with it is a shame and big miss.

Health is not a public API because health apps have to be approved by every country’s health agency.

About a year ago Samsung also closed Samsung Health for Android developers while it addresses concerns. Samsung Health Developers previously could develop health apps in developer mode using a special access key for one device only but Android only.

It is a licensing issue that prevents GWS from accessing the Weather information from the watch and it is limited in any case.

GWS development team is fully aware of this desire for weather & Health and strives to implement it.

Ron