Galaxy Watch Studio - Adding weather and a step counter

Hello,

I am new to making stuff with Watch Face Studio and I am still on doing basic stuff. I would like to do a watch face with both the temperature (weather) and a step counter and possibly heart beat.

From what I have read, unless I am mistaken, it is not possible to have weather and health stuff on the same watch face, but I cannot figure out a logical reason why it is not possible, could someone explain why? That is the main reason for me to get into developing, I cannot find a watch face I really like so I would like to do my own.

Alain

With the WFS and Wearos it is possible to display health data and weather on a WF. Use complications.

1 Like

@alainl_25

Galaxy Watch Studio for Galaxy Watch3 and older could not do weather and many other things at the same time as weather. Two factors one was licensing and the other was GWS core programming language was not compatible with most weather API’s

Watch Face Studio for Galaxy Watch 4 and newer allows you to add complications that show the weather but it does not have weather tags at all that let you customize your watch face for images of rain or cold, fog, day, night, location that was available yet. Those are feature request and I expect they are still a licensing issue.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Hello Ron

Thank you very much for the answer, that is very clear, and that means that I did not download the right version of the Galaxy Watch Studio I guess! I’ll have a look tonight.

Alain

Hi again, one follow up question, I have downloaded WatchFaceStudio from this page: Watch Face Studio downloads | Samsung Developers and GalaxyWatchStudio from here: Galaxy Watch Studio for Tizen | Samsung Developers, but I cannot figure out which one you mean by Watch Face Studio for Galaxy Watch 4.

WatchFaceStudio does not let me specify which what I am making the face for… Any help would be much appreciated.

Alain

@alainl_25

Galaxy Watch Studio is for Watches that were released before 2021, they ran on the Tizen operating system.

For Galaxy Watch4 The operating system is Wear OS (an Android operating system) and you need to download Watch Face Studio 1.3.13 (Don’t get the Beta version as a new user)

Watch Face Studio 1.3.13 creates watch faces that run on the current Wear OS 3. Wear OS 4 is coming out sometime soon and will be slightly different.

With Wear 3 and Watch Face Studio Samsung Health does not share the data but that is changing and Heartrate and Steps will be available for the designer to use for variables (called Tags by WFS) in Wear 4

Finally the current rationale for Wear OS is to have the end user select the complications they want. They may appear as a read out or tap to open an app such as Weather on the Watch Face.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations