Galaxy Watch 4: How to Enable Debugging Mode

I am designing my own watch face and try to upload it to my Galaxy Watch 4. Apparently I first have to enable debugging on the watch. The instructions say to go to Settings → Galaxy Watch Info → Debug. However, I don’t have a Galaxy Watch Info under settings. I have an “About watch” but there is not “Debugging” option there. I also went through pretty much all other submenues under Settings but couldn’t find an option to enable debugging. Where can I enable that? And are there some instructions that are specifically for the latest OS version for the Watch 4?

About Watch → Software tap on it 5 times to allow Developer Options

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

@r.liechty_SDR Thank you. So go to your main screen (press the lower physical button on the watch until you get to the main screen). Then swipe up from the 6 o’clock position. Select the gear icon (gray/bluish with the white gear). Swipe all the way down to “About watch” and click on it. Swipe down until you see “Software” and click on it. Look for “Software version”. Click on “Software version” 5x rapidly. A message “Developer mode turned on” will appear for a couple of second. Below “Software version” there will be two lines of text that I am not sure what they represent. If developer mode is off (I think) then only one line of text will be displayed.

One line says Developer Options on the other says Turn off Developer Options

Once they are on go back to settings and you will see a new setting Developer Options and in that you turn on and off ADB debugging. As well as several other options that you probably just want to keep as default settings unless you are using Android Studio.

Ron

i am trying to connect to the watch from the “galaxy watch studio” i have followed all these instruction but still can not connect. Is there an idiots guide? step by step?

@syman

What Galaxy Watch do you have. Different tools for Galaxy Watch 4 and newer than for Galaxy Watch 3 and older. and Samsung Gear 2 something entirely different again.

Tell me what you have also if you are on a Mac or Window and I can help you.

Ron

Hello, I am doing the same thing. I followed along and got the developer settings and everything set. Now I am wondering if I need to use Galaxy Watch Studio or Watch Face Studio and how to connect my watch in order to test the face designs.

I am using a Galaxy Watch 4, software completely up to date.

Thanks,
J

You need to use Watch Face Studio for Galaxy 4 watches

our watch and computer need to be connected to the same WiFi network. Unplug or turn off the Ethernet adaptor if you have your computer connected by Ethernet
You cannot have Firewalls or VPN enabled.

Go to Settings
scroll down to About Watch tap on it
Scroll down to Software Info tap on it
Scroll down to Software Version tap on it 7 times and a dialog will open saying developer options enabled

Go to Settings
Allow the permissions as the watch requests them.
scroll down to Developer Options tap on it
Select ADB debugging tap on it
in those options, enable ADB debugging, and select debug over WiFi
it may take time to connect it took me about a minute before it shows the connection.
The first line will have your IP address followed by :5555 the :5555 is the port for debugging

Write down the IP address your router assigns to your watch. (the part before .5555

From Watch Face Studio build your project with the wrench tool
or
Run on Device with the watch icon next to the wrench
It will search for your watch if it doesn’t find it. (it usually doesn’t)
add your IP address when you run on device in the + dialog and do the search again.

You Watch will pop up an permission to allow debugging or something like that select don’t ask again on this device allow. It may take up to a full minute for this to pop up the first time you connect.

After that run on device should work it will spin quite a while then say launch completed.

Hope this helps,

Ron