GWD crashes every time it tries to create .tpk for 1st time watch face transfer to Watch

Help! I have been struggling for days to get Galaxy Watch Studio to work on my MacBook Pro (running Catalina 10.15.7). Here is the problem:

Goal: Install GWD watch faces on my Galaxy Watch 64mm (SM-R800, running Tizen 5.5.0.1)

Problem:
I try to run a watch face on the watch > Select the watch in the “scan menu” > I get the prompt to create a .tpk since I am transferring a watch face for the 1st time > displays the error (see below)

Steps:
1. GWD Installation: [Solved]

• Dowloaded Galaxy Watch Designer 2.0 for Mac, tried installing
  • Issue1: got a Mac error: macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware
  • Solved: In Terminal type sudo spctl --master-disable and hit Return. Enter Mac’s password when prompted.
  • Issue 2 : Error message: JAVA 6 required to launch GWD (while it’s way outdated). > Installed JAVA 6 from te link given on the error message to Apple’s website > didn’t want to install (said that I had a much more recent version)
  • Solved: installed JAVA JDK instead

2. Watch connection: [Solved]

• Enabled debugging on Watch, switched Wi-Fi to always on > tried connecting
  • Issue: GWD couldn’t find it
  • Solved: Installed Tizen Studio > Opened Device Manager > Added device > it was recognized (after multiple failed attempts) > Opened GWD > Opened a stock watch face and clicked “Run on Watch” > Galaxy was detected

3. Getting Author and distributor certificates: [Partially Stuck]

• After clicked “run on watch” was prompted to request author certificates
  • Issue: After following the prompts it asked for me to login > I logged in > Had a waiting screen and stayed stuck there
  • Tried:
  1. On Tizen Studio > Tools > Package Manager > Extensions SDK > Samsung Certificate Extension. Then Tizen Studio > Tools > Certificate Manager > Add > Samsung (not Tizen) > follow prompts > login > approved author certificate > distributor certificate with DUID populated (because the watch was connected through the device manager) > congratulations screen
  2. On GWD: > Tools > Author Certificate > I already have a Tizen Author Certificate (entered path of the one generated by Tizen Studio) > Error Message: "An error has occurred, see log [path].log

4. Generating watch face .tpk for the 1st time: [Stuck]

• Back on Galaxy Watch Designer 2.0 > Selected stock watch face > Run on watch > detected watch (because the watch was connected through the device manager, still running) > generate 1st .tpk prompt > filled the form and added a password
  • Issue : Error message: "An error has occurred see [path].log for details > I click OK then GWD crashes everytime
    What I tried so far without success:
  • Uninstalled GWD 2.0, reinstalled it
  • Uninstalled GWD 2.0, installed previous version 1.8.1

Can you please help me?

I only watch to design watch faces for my watch (not looking to publish/sell) and it it seems way too difficult for a non-coder (like myself). I had issues every step of the way as you saw above and I am not tech savvy.

Is there a way to make GWD into a web app to solve these version / compatibility / connection issues? After all Facer and WatchMaker have web versions of their watch makers

Thank you !!

System: macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Watch: Galaxy Watch 64mm (SM-R800, running Tizen 5.5.0.1)

Issue log from .log file:

!SESSION 2021-04-05 17:37:35.369 -----------------------------------------------

eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=16
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/[username]/.eclipse_keyring
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -data @noDefault -keyring /Users/[username]/.eclipse_keyring
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2021-04-05 17:38:31.435

!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class org.tizen.common.util.CipherUtil (in unnamed module @0x1ae8bcbc) cannot access class com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dv.util.Base64 (in module java.xml) because module java.xml does not export com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dv.util to unnamed module @0x1ae8bcbc

at org.tizen.common.util.CipherUtil.getEncryptedString(CipherUtil.java:117)
at com.samsung.gwd.Config.setAuthorPassword(Config.java:653)
at com.samsung.gwd.ui.dialog.build.CompositeBuildPopup$13.execute(CompositeBuildPopup.java:651)
at com.samsung.gwd.utils.EasyExecute.execute(EasyExecute.java:16)
at com.samsung.gwd.utils.EasyExecute.execute(EasyExecute.java:10)
at com.samsung.gwd.ui.popup.PopupButton.mouseUp(PopupButton.java:126)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:221)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:86)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4247)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1508)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1531)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1516)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:1320)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4091)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3712)
at com.samsung.gwd.Application._start(Application.java:385)
at com.samsung.gwd.Application.start(Application.java:77)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:78)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:567)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:656)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:592)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1498)

Hi @Zerolie ,

I feel regret to see your sufferings. As you have multiple issues, I would suggest you to take 1-1 support from Samsung Developer Support team. It would be useful to provide them some screenshots of the issue while submitting a support ticket. In addition, you may skip the issues that you have already solved by yourself.

Azad

Thank you Azad. I contacted 1-1 support, let’s see if they can help

Hello ! I’m also stuck with the same problem . I tried installing previous versions and it doesn’t work. Please let me know if you found any solution. Thank you !

Hi @Ashik251,

Which Java version are you using?

To check Java version, please run the following command in terminal: java –version (if this command results in an error, type: javac –version ).

Azad

Hello. I am having the same issue. I’m running Java 16.0.1.
Thanks.

Switch to Java 13.0.1

Same issue here, any luck?

Anyone from Samsung willing to respond?

Hello everyone,

The problem is likely to be occurred due to Java incompatibility. See the Required Java version.
Please install a supported one (Java 8/14 64 bit) as mentioned in the above link.

Thank you,
Jakia Sultana

1 Like

I am also facing same issue, If you found any helpful guide please let me know. Thanks