How to start an app when you tap a button

I would like to learn to program my own watch face. I’m a retired engineer and just want to play around with the software.
I have successfully used galaxy watch studio to make my own watch face after watching the youtube tutorials. I know how to tap a button to display data and to start an app listed in the drop down menu after you “set as a button”.
I want to tap a button to start an app that isn’t in that list. I would like to tap a button and start a walking work out, or tap a button to start the stopwatch app, or timer app.
How to I do that? Do I need to learn to write a tizen application? I can figure that out easy. Could you please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Vince

I moved this to Galaxy Watch Studio for Tizen as it can be done using GWS. You can do watch faces with Tizen Studio but it is much more complicated.

There are two ways to start an app that isn’t in the list.
First is to get the App ID for the app and just use that as Custom App (See below how to get app ID)
The other way is use Double Tap and have that open App Chooser. The end user can then set that to the app that they want to open.

Getting App ID

Here is how to do it with Android 9 and newer
Open Galaxy Store App on your phone
upper right hand corner tap on 3 dots (note if you have updates you will see a number over the dots)
tap on My Page
tap on All
find the app you want to open and tap on it
tap on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner
select Share
send it to yourself in email
it will often send the appID

Use Tizen Studio to create this to get a list if you can’t share the one you want with yourself.

Hope This helps,

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Thank you very much for your reply. I found the app id’s in the galaxy store. I will learn to run that code snippet tonight. I do have past programming experience and enjoy all of this. I think i will learn tizen studio for fun.
Thanks
Vince

Even though I was able to start an app and I also tried the double tap also, I couldn’t figure out how to start a “walking workout” like i do on my favorite watch faces. (Galaxy Watch 3)
The workout is part of the Samsung health app and the multi workout widget. Can I start a walking workout from one tap with GWS?
I appreciate any help. If this is not a place for amateurs just let me know. I’m watching the "Wearable app development workshop now and don’t plan on bothering you too much. This is the last problem to getting my perfect watch face.
Thanks
Vince

I believe it is S Health > Steps and it is part of the predefined apps make a text box with the Tag for step count and then set it as a button to open app
or
Add the Step Count complication and make one of the text elements open app then group it. Then when you tap on it should open

Ron

Thank you for the reply. I think the walking workout is different". to do it manually you go to samsung health app, then choose “exercise”, then “choose workout”, then finally “walking”.
I’ve down loaded watch faces that can trigger that submenu from one tap. I guess it comes down being able to choose app submenus from a single tap on a watch face in GWS.
What do you think?
Vince

Hi Vince,

I think you are right but i will have a look at my Watch3 to see if I can trigger it. SHealth is not an open API so it may take the two step process. The preinstalled watch faces have the ability to address it directly.

I always used detect activity so the walking app always came on automatically. :slight_smile:

Ron

Yes, when i forget it usually turns itself on after .4 miles. I walk almost everyday and clicking on that walking workout has been part of my routine. It’s not a big deal but i’m bored and would like the challenge. If i have to get tizen studio to work i will. just point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Can I make my own little app in tizen thats just a shorcut to the walking workout, then assign that to the button? I have no idea what i’m talking about. LOL
Thanks
Vince

I could not get the SHealth > Walking to open the exercise start. The best I could do is set a button for Samsung Health and then scroll down to walking and start it.

You can’t access Samsung Health at all with Tizen Studio. Privacy laws require the developer to publish who will have access to data and how it is to be stored and used. So it is not open to the public only partners.

Ron

Thank you very much. I can easily get to the workout from the Samsung Health “Multi workout” widget. Just two swipes and a tap.
I’m very statisfied with my watch face now. This has been a big Help.

Thanks again. Ron
Vince