Partner App Program

Hello there!

I wanted to clarify this statement for any future readers, since I found current Samsung Health 3rd party integration to be extremely confusing. Of course, I bare no affiliation with Samsung so consider this a mere fellow dev opinion.

In short, it appears that Samsung Health API documented here is no longer supported for new “regular” (non-premium) clients nor will ever be be in any near future (I infer this from a fact that it’s been disabled for 2 years already). If you’re just an ordinary dev trying new things out and processed health data is what you needed, you may drop the idea of integration as I had to sadly do.

What Ron stated to be “available” is Wear Health Services, which is basically raw sensors data from Galaxy Watch 4. No exercises history, nothing like that.

I do understand that the role of technical support is not in any way responsible for the current situation. But I still have to express a deep regret and pain about how the company chose to treat regular developers or aspiring startups. I wasted 3 hours studying API that is, in fact, not working for new clients for the past 2 (!!!) years.

Come on, Samsung management, at least officially deprecate the SDK for regular developers, you can do better! In my eyes the company certainly lost brand in terms of integrations and overall software engineering culture.

1 Like

First and foremost I totally understand how you feel and why you feel this way. The old Android Health SDK that worked with Tizen Smart Watches is still available but without the developer partnership it is somewhat useless.

Please understand that GDPR regulations changed last year and how data is collected and shared is a totally new ball game and highly regulated process now. As I understand it, that is the driving force behind the changes.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

I know you can’t do much, but thank you at least for answering, Ron. I am sure there are objective understandable reasons behind this development hiccup. The problem I wanted to highlight was just that it really should be communicated clearer and more definite on the product management level.

Ron, that’s great news about the Wear Health Services, but perhaps I’m confused. The Samsung Health Services program I was asking about was for importing data from other smart devices, like smart scales, into Samsung Health on the phone. To the best of my knowledge Samsung wearable devices, and therefor Tizen aren’t involved at all. Or are all the services that import data into Samsung Health from smart devices related to the watch services?

Hi TechnoSwiss,

Sorry for going down path. The BLE Device Partnership is also on hold. I believe you can get all the specs and a test app from that Health Device site but can’t run on a device without the partnership.

I don’t know the status of re-opening this.

Ron

Thanks for the info.

I still don’t understand what partner apps programs is.

I would like to make an android app that uses heart rate, body temperature, … from galaxy watch 5 pro using samsung health sdk.

For permission to use data, do i have to enroll parter apps program or is only using Samsung health Android SDK enough?

I still don’t understand what partner apps programs is.

I believe you are talking about the deprecated Partners Program that worked with Tizen Watches and included the Android SDK. This is 5 years old and will not work with Galaxy Watch 4,5 and 6

I would like to make an android app that uses heart rate, body temperature, … from galaxy watch 5 pro using amsung health sdk.

For this you use Android Health Connect
See these blogs on how to do Health for Wear OS

For permission to use data, do i have to enroll parter apps program or is only using Samsung health Android SDK enough?

Samsung Health Android SDK will not work the enrollment for that has ended, it is only supported for legacy developers.

Ron

Thank you for replying.

I succeeded in linking with Health Connect.

But I have more questions.

When accessing heart rate data(using HeartRateRecord), data is received from Samsung Health to my app, and it seems to be changed every 60 seconds. Can I change Samsung Health’s refresh rate?

And when I access the body temperature data(using BodyTemperatureRecord), it comes out as blank data. Is it possible to use the body temperature at the moment?

@asdfgzh

When accessing heart rate data(using HeartRateRecord), data is received from Samsung Health to my app, and it seems to be changed every 60 seconds. Can I change Samsung Health’s refresh rate?

Yes and no. It appears that Health Services updates Heart Rate continuously and while it is supposed to sync with the installed Health settings it still reports the continuous setting. The debate is if this a bug in Samsung Health or Health Services or Health Connect.

And when I access the body temperature data(using BodyTemperatureRecord), it comes out as blank data. Is it possible to use the body temperature at the moment?

I do not know is your watch Wear 4 API 33

Samsung has spent a lot of effort to create tutorial blogs for using Samsung Health I’d suggest you see if anything there helps.

If that doesn’t help can you create a new topic in the Samsung Health Category.
Because a problem with the forum software you have to create the new topic from the Forum Home and then move it from the topic header at top of the thread to the Samsung Health category.

Thanks for working with us on that.

Ron

For reference, I am using the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro.

I already know that I can set the heart rate measurement to always, every 10 minutes while resting, or manually, so I chose always.

At this time, I confirmed that the Galaxy Watch measures the heart rate every seconds, but it seems that Samsung Health only receives the data about once a minute.

Is this cycle a set value?

In addition, Health Connect seems to receive Samsung Health data on a regular basis, so i must turn on the Samsung Health application to check the converted value to receive it as a custom app through Health Connect.

Therefore, in order to periodically receive data from the custom app, there is the inconvenience of having to periodically turn on the Samsung Health app to check for changes.

Is there a way?

Thank you for your continuous and fast response.

At this time, I confirmed that the Galaxy Watch measures the heart rate every seconds, but it seems that Samsung Health only receives the data about once a minute.

I don’t think it is even that often to sync the watch and my health app on my mobile.

Has your GW5 Pro been updated to Wear 4 One UI 5 yet that started happening about two weeks ago. I have seen a lot of reports of issues with Samsung Health sharing data with Health Connect that was to be fixed in One UI 5

Assuming it has already go to the Health Permissions and Share Data with Services and Devices and make sure Health Services is allowed.

I may be wrong but Health Connect should get the data from Health Services and not have to wait for Samsung Health to send a report.

In Wear Health Services Heart rate is a series data type
Data Types
DeltaDataType<Double, SampleDataPoint<Double>> HEART_RATE_BPM
Current heart rate, in beats per minute.
and
AggregateDataType<Double, StatisticalDataPoint<Double>> HEART_RATE_BPM_STATS
Statistics on heart rate since the start of the current exercise, expressed in beats per minute.

See the Health Services samples repository on GitHub There may be something more helpful there.

Ron