Unclear partnership program

Hi there!

My company is looking to integrate Samsung Health into our existing Applications. We are using Validc (https://validic.com/) to provide aggregation of data from multiple platforms.

I noticed that there is some form of application for the partnership program found on New Health PlatformSamsung Privileged Health SDK | Samsung Developers

However, the partnership program seems to be for some raw data access we don’t want. We want to be able to collect steps primarily. Do we need to apply? If so what do we check off that we need?

There’s also a reference to " Download sample service scenario" in the application, with no reference to how to download a scenario, or any documentation to describe what to do with it?

Any information would be helpful!

4 Likes

… Following this thread…exact same scenario.

Did you ever get a response or answer to this? I’m developing a Wear OS fitness game and I’d love to use Samsung Health over Google Fit, but I am not a partner and I’m confused at what non-partners can and cannot do. I am basically just looking for steps, active time, and activity cal. values to be read, and the SDK looks sufficient.

When Samsung moved from Tizen to Wear OS Powered by Samsung (AKA Wear OS 3) they developed an open source Health API. The old Samsung Health Partnership is closed but the new Samsung Android Health SDK is available and you can download the SDK for that now without being a partner.

Documentation for this is on the Android Site

The Samsung Health app does not have any public API.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Thanks for the reply, but can you actually develop and publish apps using it? Because the page you linked still says you need to be a partner.

With the Tizen Watch Health you downloaded the SDK and developed your app. You could test your app on a device if you applied and approved as a Developer partner but only a device in developer mode that had a key for that device… After you developed it you could beta test it and after so many distributions you could apply for approval as a Health partner Samsung Health has suspended and I assume will discontinue Tizen OS Developer Health partnerships

As best as I understand:
Under Wear OS Powered by Samsung the Health SDK is available from Android site and you do not need a partnership to use it or develop health apps with that public API. I believe this Health SDK was primarily developed by Samsung as it is different than the old Wear Health SDK.

The Privileged Health Partners is something totally different, it is for corporations that wish to use Samsung Health with other apps.

Ron

Sorry, do you have documentation on that? Because I’ve never seen anything refer to Developer Partner, and your Health Partner application process is close? Both are closed?

Under Wear OS Powered by Samsung the Health SDK is available from Android site and you do not need a partnership to use it or develop health apps with that public API. I believe this Health SDK was primarily developed by Samsung as it is different than the old Wear Health SDK.

Your own documentation makes no mention of this, just that you need a partnership and that one isn’t available.

Sorry, do you have documentation on that? Because I’ve never seen anything refer to Developer Partner, and your Health Partner application process is close? Both are closed?.

The “New” Health platform using Wear OS Powered by Samsung on this page and on that page is a way to apply for the Privileged Health partnership

And since that is Android based the documentation on that is on the Android site and the Android SDK is documented on Samsung Developers Portal Here

And on the mobile phone is described Here

The only activation key you need now is to access the Samsung Health App in Developer Mode and I’m not sure if that is necessary for most people.

It looks like they recently removed the old Tizen Watch Health SDK documentation.

And to the best of my knowledge this is how it works but to be honest it is all fresh and new. But I don’t see any reason why you can’t do what you want to do with the Android Wear OS Health SDK.

Ron

1 Like

So I suppose I’m still confused then. Based on this info, we should be using the Health Services on Wear OS by Google then, since we aren’t partners? What data from Samsung Health is/is not accessible if so? Just quickly rummaging through the Samsung Health SDK vs the Wear OS Health Services sample projects show two different suites of tools, so I just want to make sure.

To the best of my understanding nothing is available from Samsung Health unless you are a privileged partner.
Think of Samsung Health as a set of proprietary algorithms used to translate raw data into readable information, for example blood oxygen level, or active time. That kind of information is no longer available.
I believe this is because of the recent Health Privacy Regulations that went into effect with the newer Wear and Android platforms.

You can access the raw data from the sensors and create your own algorithm using the Android Health SDK. You also now need to publish your own privacy policy and so on to publish your app.

Ron

I also want to apply for the program but I have no idea what a Service Scenario means.
@r.liechty_SDR Can you provide us information on what the Service Scenario is and possibly a sample document.

HI Maxa90

I’m trying to get clarification from the Health Team. No promises but I’m trying.

Ron

Hi Maxa90
I got a response from the team.

“Service Scenario” in the Partner Program form means a kind of user experience or service scenario of applicant’s app, so that Samsung is able to understand better what applicant’s business/service is. As you may know, there is an App Description section, but it is difficult to review what kind of service it is with text description alone, so we are requesting additional attachment for app screenshots or detailed service scenario. We recommend a descriptive documentation in the form of MS word, PowerPoint, or PDF file.

When applying remember Samsung Privileged Health SDK is available to selectively granted partners. The Android Health SDK is available to everyone.

Ron

Hi Ron,

We have an application to connect and collect data from our own consumer healthcare products like pulse oximeter, electronic sphygmomanometer and fat scale etc.
Our scenario is to enable users to sync data from our APP to Samsung health, so they can also review their data from Samsung health.
The Samsung health SDK for Android is suspended and Samsung Privileged Health SDK seems to be designed for existed WearOS applications.
Could you please help let me know what SDK we can use and how could we proceed this process?

Thanks,
Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

I believe you want the Privileged Health Partnership.

You can open a support request and one of the options is for Health and they can let you know if I am right and hopefully give you some direction on applying.

The Android Health SDK works in conjunction with the Tizen platform watches and that has been suspended for 2 years and all work is on the Android Health Services instead.

Hope this helps,

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your instruction and I opened a support request Mar. 7 with No. #39128.
Just want to know what’s the general SLA to get a reply.
Thanks again for your help and hope you have a great day.

Gabriel

In the East it is not unusual to not respond with bad news. If you do not hear from Samsung in a Month, assume it was not accepted.

Ron

Hi,
I am developing an android app on my phone that will be using the samsung smartwatch health data such as heart rate, stress etc. and displaying on my android app. How to go about this? Is this possible in health services API? Do i need any access key for this?

Health Connect is what you want. the Health Setting on the Watch will need to allow Health services permission and then your mobile can connect with the watch for the data. There are a lot of Health Connect Video’s that will help you get started and walk you through it
And Samsung has several Blogs that help too.

You do need to get permission from Google because of privacy regulations. It is fairly simple.

I believe there will be an update to Wear 4 and Samsung Health soon which should be better.

Ron

Hi Ron,
I have to develop the same app on Samsung galaxy Tab A8 as well. But samsung health app seems to be incompatible on this device. How can I get samsung watch 5 health data into the application on my tab then?
Can I still use Health Connect?