PWA in subfolder with a german umlaut not starting/installing properly


We are developing a webapp where each customer has it’s own subfolder working as seperate PWAs. One of them has a german umlaut (ä,ö,ü) in it’s name where the installed PWA can’t be started.

When pressing the install button and acknowledging the install prompt the PWA seems to install with no errors. After the installation has finished the notification pops up and the icon of the PWA is shown in the installed apps, but not in the statusbar of the Samsung Internet browser.
When trying to start the PWA from the launcher you can very briefly see a black closing screen and afterwards it’s shown in the taskmanager, but also completely black.
After reloading the page the install button shows up again so you can “install” the pwa mutliple times.

To get it installing properly it’s enough to just change the folders name (no change to the serviceworker, manifest or any other component) and also the other PWAs with no umlaut in the path work fine.
We also couldn’t reproduce this issue with other browsers like chrome or on other systems like windows.

PWA not installing properly with Samsung Internet:

working without problems:

In contrast the umlauts in the domain name seem to be no problem at all.


Welcome to the Samsung Developer Forum!

We are sorry you are facing this issue. Can you please attach some screenshots/screen recordings of the problem?

Also, please download Samsung Internet Beta to your test device from the Galaxy Store and let me know whether you are facing the same issue there.

Download link: Samsung Internet Browser Beta

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Samiul Hossain
Samsung Developer Relations

Same with the Beta. We have tested with several phones like Galaxy S8, A5 (2017) and 21 FE.
To demonstrate the issue I set up two very simple PWAs with two different paths (one installing fine, one not) and took a video of the behaviour. I used Chrome Remote Debugger, so don’t be irritated by the IP.

As you can see, the first one named “PWA ok” with path “/test/” works fine, the second “PWA fail” with path “/töst/” doesn’t. Only real difference is this one letter in the path.
Both work fine using Chrome.

1 Like


Thank you for getting back to us.

We have forwarded your issue to the development team. Please wait while they get back to me with your request.

Samiul Hossain
Samsung Developer Relations

Hello all of,

Thank you coming to here… having same isuues with imbms