WFS - Pixel Watch - [SC] tag issue

@amoledwatchfaces

No, I haven’t received any feedback from this side at the moment.

Best wishes for the Christmas holidays to you too! :blush:

1 Like

Hello @sinjae @Matteo_Dini
Looks like the issue is back? I though that steps counter was fixed partially (<10000 = fine, >=10000 = 10K)

Now I’m receiving new reports that the steps counter [SC], [SC_PER] are not working again on Pixel Watch. This may also cause some unwanted critical watch face failures.

screenshot-2023-02-19-15-26-41screenshot-2023-02-19-15-31-51screenshot-2023-02-19-15-32-36

@sinjae, Can you contact Google about this issue once again? It really makes our watch faces almost unusable, We just want system steps complication on Pixel Watch to report Integer (Int) value.

2 Likes

I am sorry about that.
I’ve talked about it a couple of times. But I am not sure if they’re really willing to fix it.
Obviously, in the next WearOS version, Samsung and Google WearOS collaboration is trying to prevent such problems from occurring depending on the manufacturer.

2 Likes

Now. Google has started rejecting all my watchfaces. giving reason “Your app does not provide step count to measure as shown/described on the store listing.” This works fine on Samsung watches. But some Pixel watch users are reporting bugs on this.

Is there anyway to tackle this.

Screenshot_20231002_205411_sysui

1 Like

Maybe change your product description what does it say?
See FAQ 11

SC works differently on Wear3 (API 30) and Wear 4 (API 33) differently.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

2 Likes

There is nothing specific to the Step count mentioned in the description.
Only in the watchface, I have this progressbar [SC_PER]) with steps count. [SC] . You can see in my last post in my screenshot.
I did an appeal and got this response. I am still unsure what is the exact issue and how can I resolve this.

We’ve reviewed your appeal request and found that your app Pixel Clean Watch Face (com.djay.pixelcleanwatchface) still contains eligibility issues. We’ve included details below about the specific issue with your app and what you can do to meet the requirements for Wear OS.

Step 1: Fix the eligibility issue with your app

During review, we detected the following eligibility issue and were unable to accept your app for Wear OS:

The functionality of your app doesn’t work as described.

Your app (App Bundle: 10000004) does not provide step count to measure as shown/described on the store listing.
Make sure to test your app on a variety of Wear OS devices and configurations. Please refer to the Get started with Wear OS documentation and Test your app documentation for more information.

Please update your app to fix this issue. You can refer to the linked materials for additional guidance.

1 Like

So they know that the pixel watch breaks the SC when it goes over 10,000 steps. So I assume that they are specifically testing for that.

I don’t know how play console works if you can specify specific devices and create different versions one of Pixel watches and one for Samsung. If you can’t then take the Step Count out (your icon image is part of the description).

I’ll think about this some more maybe have [SC] < 9999 ? [SC] : > 10K

Also I’ll see if there is a bug report on it.

Ron

1 Like

I’ve now had two watchface rejections with a rejection reason of: “Your app does not provide a functional step count as shown/described on the store listing.”, just as @apprerum has described.

After resubmitting, one of them has subsequently been approved, but I suspect that I’ve probably been lucky as there was no functional change made.

The store listing just says it displays “step count”.

It would be good to understand the detail of the problem and perhaps what others have done to get around it. What string does a Pixel watch actually return in the [SC] field when steps exceed 10,000? Maybe we can use a tag expression to code around it, as @r.liechty_SDR has alluded to?

1 Like

Based on Watch Face Format specification → SourceType | Android Developers
WFS is using (verified in watchface.xml code) :

STEP_COUNT
STEP_GOAL
STEP_PERCENT

These are OK and should be working fine on Wear OS 4. Problem is in Pixel Watch 2 software. Pixel Watch should definitely respect something created by Google.
I’ll try to contact Google about this.

There are so many inconsistencies between WFF / WFS / Wear OS software that it’s starting to give me a headache…

Tomas

1 Like

My 4 watchfaces has been rejected for the same reason.
I do not have a Pixel watch and hence can test myself. I have put all my releases on hold because of this issue. I am trying to find a Pixel watch owner who can send me an image using my watchface so that I can use that as a proof to get my watchfaces approved.
But again, I am unsure about the actual issue. Now I am wondering if the steps count/per even works on the Pixel watches or not.

1 Like

Watch Face Format; SourceType STEP_COUNT not working on Pixel Watch 2 [305477774] - Visible to Public - Issue Tracker (google.com)

2 Likes

One of the Pixel watch 2 (running wear os 4) user sent me these images. Looks like it’s broken on Pixel watch 2 only. Samsung watches have no issue.

screenshot-2023-10-16-11-58-43
screenshot-2023-10-16-11-59-27

Playstore is not allowing me to release any new versions. All my watchface updates and new uploads are on Hold for a month now.

2 Likes

I +1’d your issue. It looks like it has been assigned.

Can you confirm this also on older Pixel Watch (1?)?

Maybe it’s not solely STEP_COUNT, but everything what depends on it. For example, change x based on STEP_COUNT wont work on Pixel Watch (because it’s a string). Also STEP_PERCENT shows zero because it is calculated as STEP_COUNT / STEP_GOAL (String / Int) = Exception

1 Like

Sc = string on pixel only right?
Because i did it previously [sc]/5000 * 100 it works on my Samsung watch

Before wear os 4 as step_percent was tied to 6000 steps as its goal

1 Like

Confirmed with a Pixel Watch 1 user who recently updated his watch to Wear OS 4. He is not facing this step count issue. I believe this is only Pixel Watch 2.

2 Likes

It may be related to Oct 5 Sercurity patch. Let’s hope this is fixed soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, they are rejecting my watchfaces from 5th Oct only.
But, if this issue is from their side, they should allow us to release the new updates.

They are not even allowing me to change the Playstore main listing content from other watchfaces.

1 Like

@Knightwing

Before wear os 4 as step_percent was tied to 6000 steps as its goal

Prior to WFS 1.4.x the step count goal was something you could set in WFS settings, the default was 6000. With WFS 1.4 it is synced to the Goal in Health Services.

Ron

1 Like

I believe we could still be using watch step goal / custom step goal as per Watch Face Format documentation: Metadata | Android Developers

STEP_GOAL

Sets the daily “number of steps” goal that appears in the watch face preview. This value must be a positive integer.

If this value is invalid or unspecified, the watch face uses the system’s default daily step goal.

Right now, when you check ‘sync’ in WFS, STEP_GOAL is removed from watchface.xml and thus step goal is synced to the health app on watch. When you un-check sync, value set in WFS matches STEP_GOAL metadata in watchface.xml

Tomas

1 Like