What are others using for their game development?

Only recently got a Samsung Galaxy Watch, but I’m looking forward to getting some games developed on it. I have been a professional games developer for about 25 years.

What are other people using to do their development? I’m currently playing about with Unity (2017.2.5f1 is the last version that supports Tizen). Useful since it handles a lot of the low level ssytem stuff.

It’s a relatively smooth development process, useful that it can be tested/played on the PC before creating a Tizen package for installation.

3 Likes

I haven’t created a game for the watch yet. It’s something that’s on my radar though and I have a few ideas. It would be really cool to find like a resource page or a list of engines that support the Galaxy Watch / Tizen platform. If not the big commercial ones like Unity & Unreal, is there maybe open source ones that support it? Like you, I’m also very interested in reading more about gamedev on a galaxy watch.

I’m using Unity 2017.5.0 since a bug with the tilemap editor was introduced on subsequent versions. As long as you don’t go above Unity 2017.2.5 you can create Tizen packages that work fine on the Galaxy Watch.

They removed Tizen support after 2017.2.5.

1 Like

I see…

btw… started a game project not too long ago using the Godot engine… I realized, being opensource, maybe look in to adding support for Tizen would be something worth investigating.

The little I’ve been developing in Godot, I really like the engine, it’s super snappy, lightweight and fun to code in.

Just something I thought would be worth sharing… there’s so much focus on Unity and Unreal these days.

If I had the time I would look into adding Tizen support to Godot myself!

I have used Godot in the past and it was very good, and it has only got better with the version 3. If it could support Galaxy Watch I’d definitely use it.

There is a lot of focus on Unity and Unreal, but for a smaller company they provide a good step up towards releasing games.

I use Unreal professionally, and in the past we have used an in-house engine which meant we had to do everything ourselves and being a small company we struggled to develop a game while developing the underlying engine.

Hello folks!

I’m creator of Proyecto26, if you are using Unity, check a little plugin I did for REST services: https://github.com/proyecto26/RestClient
For the moment I’m creating 2d games but using Phaser Framework with Tizen Web SDK, I 'm here to learn more about this awesome ecosystem, hope be able to learn and share with you guys!

My examples about Phaser Framework: https://codepen.io/collection/AQWqbV

Best,
Juan

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I will think of your suggestion.

1 Like

Hello,
Good conversation here, its good way to discuss with great app developers. My profession in developing games and worked with Top Mobile App Development Company in Canada. If i got some new trending thing while developing game app , then it will be much beneficial for me.

2 Likes

Hello folks,

And if you want to create games for Tizen using Web SDK, check my awesome list about JavaScript games: https://github.com/proyecto26/awesome-jsgames

Regards,
Juan

I have mentioned I am using Unity 2017 as my game engine. I submitted my first completed game to the seller portal but it failed submission due to “using undocumented APIs”.

I have asked for clarification, but the list it provided seemed to be all the library functions used by the game (eg: strncmp, atanf, calloc).

So, it looks like Unity might not be the way forward for doing games and I might have to go back to doing everything myself. :frowning: Which is obviously a lot more work.

It turns out that Unity was never officially supported on Galaxy Watch so it’s back to the drawing board for me!

The library folders contain “SDL2” though, so it looks like that might be my next choice.

At Level Stars, for Galaxy Watch / Gear S3 / Gear Sport-level hardware we use our own game engine Pedantica. An example game in Galaxy Store is the 3D airplane game Dial Pilot. One of the prettiest so far on the store ( in our own oppinion :smiley: ). https://youtu.be/PNjHJiYIy5I

Link:
https://galaxy.store/dialpilot

It seems you do not have a good foundation for quickly getting something out.

Would there be interest in using an indie game engine? In this case we can try to document the engine, provide some basic support through a basic example game and provide the engine itself as a binary (library) for linking in Tizen Studio.

Note that C++ coding experience would be required to base a game on Pedantica.

The engine has tight requirements:
Textures/Images: PNG
3D models (static, no animations): OBJ (can be exported from Blender)
Sound/Music: FLAC

I’ll watch this thread for replies
Robin, Level Stars

1 Like

Thanks for the offer!

I have experience (old age!), and have been a professional game developer for 25 years or so. The convenience of modern game engines (Unity, Unreal, Godot) has made me lazy.

I am looking forward to getting back to doing C++ and building an engine to my own design to do exactly what I need.

EDIT:
Your Dial Pilot game looks lovely!

So, a test SDL2 application also had “undocumented APIs” being referenced. Specifically the SDL rendering functions. Turns out not all of the SDL library is available on the Galaxy Watch.

developer.tizen.org/ko/development/api-references/native-application?redirect=/dev-guide/latest/org.tizen.native.wearable.apireference/group__OPENSRC__SDL__FRAMEWORK.html&langredirect=1

So, another step back to lower level and I am going to look at Vulkan for my rendering with my own “engine” to support it.

I will get a game out one day! :wink:

Well good luck, then!

Oh and, Vulkan is not available on Galaxy Watch.

Regards
Robin, Level Stars

1 Like

Haha…I hit a dead end which ever way I go!

I was sure it was supported. I just checked and, as you say, it isn’t.

Thanks! That has saved me a lot of wasted effort. I’d started looking into Vulkan and there’s a huge amount of set up code before you can do any rendering at all. I only decided to go the Vulkan route because I’d never used it and thought it was worth learning about.

OpenGL it is then, at least I am already familiar with that.

No problem!

By the way, use Samsung provided SDL2 library for OpenGL context creation. If you compile your own SDL2 it’s gonna collide with Tizen’s SDL2 symbols. This is checked when you upload your package, via an automated robot.

1 Like

Not on Galaxy Watch I guess?

It might be worth doing a simple test submission to check to see if you can actually use Unity on your target device, things might have changed!

Hey, If you are looking for a leading Game App Development Company you can reach out to AppStudio. They have a very expert team for game development.