Developing a smart device controller using motion gestures as triggers

Hi Guys,
I’m currently completing a university project in which I’m trying to develop a wearable app for the Samsung watch active(1).

So far, I’ve found documentation for recording sensor inputs for establishing new gestures here.

Is this the correct documentation for doing this?

Secondly, I’ve been looking at “Smartthings” for connecting to smart devices. How should I propery call “Smartthings” services into my application.

Thirdly, should I be developing this application to work via the watch and phone or, should I do this independently for the watch. (my guess is that the watch has limited functionality).

Lastly, I’m an absolute novice with this. I have previous experience with writing in C, but if anyone can provide me with the steps I need to take to make my project a reality, then that would be incredibly helpful!

All the Best,
Hamish

Secondly, I’ve been looking at “Smartthings” for connecting to smart devices. How should I propery call “Smartthings” services into my application.

Smarthings has it own web site and is very well documented. I’d suggest you go there.

Thirdly, should I be developing this application to work via the watch and phone or, should I do this independently for the watch. (my guess is that the watch has limited functionality).

I believe what you want to do is have a watch app that works with a companion app on the phone or vice versa a phone app that has a companion app on the watch, (it depends on which is primary and which is secondary.)

You might want to check GitHub for some example codes if you can’t find any on the Tizen site.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Hi Ron,
Thanks for that, already found my way to the SmartThings section. And ah, I see.

I’ve looked at getting values from sensors on the watch in order to make my own custom gestures. But I have no idea how to record said gestures, store them and then call them into my app. Do you have any examples of creating and using gestures?

All the Best,
Hamish