Galaxy watch 4 idle mode issue

Hello,

I’m an Android developer and working on a wearable app that runs on Galaxy watch 4.
In short description, this app use a foreground service that’s connected to Mqtt broker and receives real-time alerts and displays them to the user.
Up until recent system SW upgrade I used a Wifi Lock to keep the network alive for my app and the foreground service allowed my app to keep running in the back during idle mode. I also used a Wake Lock to wake the watch when an alert was received so it can be displayed to the user.

On 16.02.22 the watches were updated and after that, whenever the watch turns off the screen and goes into idle mode, my application disconnects from all OS resources (network, even CPU). It seems like the process is suspended. When I bring the watch back from idle, my application continues running but its stays in the background and not returned to the fore.

I tried different approaches to solve this, such as Ambient mode and more, all my efforts to come up with a workaround met a brick wall.
Am I missing something?
I see other apps that use body monitoring via the sensors for example, that keep working and throw notifications even when the watch is idle.

Please help, how can I keep my app alive and the service running (and using the network) during watch idle mode?

This is not the correct forum for Android Developers even Wear OS Powered by Samsung watch apps.

I see you asked this on Stack Overflow so I’m not sure if there is anywhere else to ask.

I’ll let it set in this forum for a week in case someone that is using WFS is also a developer and has an idea.

I believe there is a new Wear OS Powered by Samsung firmware coming out soon but I don’t have a time line for it. Maybe that will fix whatever they changed in the last update. The firmware broke complications that used mobile notifications such as upcoming calendar events. It could be related to your issue.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

a samsung developer forum is the wrong place for a samsung device bug-topic? and it will be kicked out of the forum by the samsung developer relations team?
wow, this is the samsung way!

unfortunately i have to solve a very similar problem since i’m forced to work on a samsung watch. lets switch to stackoverflow.

I guess I didn’t explain the rationale for this. This forum is for Developers using Samsung Tools or SDKs not for internal device developers or Android Developers even if their target is a Samsung device or the bug only appears on Samsung devices.

I believe it is in the best interest of everyone if there is a single source for discussion of Wear OS issues and that is Stack Overflow.

Thank you for understanding.

Ron

Since the report indicates it is a change in behaviour due to a Samsung update, are Samsung Developer Relations likely to answer in Stack Overflow? On mobile, OEMs frequently make changes that observably affect performance, so it seems like something someone at Samsung could answer.

Or is there somewhere to report bugs with Samsung software updates?

First let me state that not being able to report Samsung bugs directly to Samsung Development Engineers is frustrating on my part and I know it is on individual developers. So I try to help as much as I can but I am limited.

Since the report indicates it is a change in behaviour due to a Samsung update,

I don’t doubt you checked but I have to ask, are you sure this was not a WearOS update that affects every watch running Wear OS 3?

are Samsung Developer Relations likely to answer in Stack Overflow?

No, that is not what Developer Relations is, it is more marketing and it is not a tech support program. My primary function is to moderate the discussion boards.

On mobile, OEMs frequently make changes that observably affect performance, so it seems like something someone at Samsung could answer.

If it is a Samsung OneUI or other Samsung specific issue then those should be reported via Samsung Members App. It has the ability to get system information if allowed to diagnose the issue.

Or is there somewhere to report bugs with Samsung software updates?

You can report them on Samsung.com in the support area. Trouble is most the time they don’t understand the issue and send people here which frustrates everyone.

Believe me I do understand where you are coming from and I wish I had a magic bullet to fix things.

Ron

Try this:

open Galaxy Wearable app in mobile → Watch settings → Apps → find and select your app → Allow background activity

1 Like

@sinjae: Theres no “APP” that runs watch faces created in WFS!
Did you really try this, or did you just forward what other have written about 3rd party watch face apps?

As a user, I have similar problems after the …EVA8 “upgrade”. The watch doesn’t update time after it has gone into ambient mode unless you really force it (by pressing buttons) to leave ambient mode. Thus, the watch can no longer show proper time in AOD mode. Pretty serious right?

Any watch face is not listed on the app list. I thought that the original question was related to the ui application rather than watch face.

And the problem of not displaying the appropriate time during AOD mode was discussed here and solved by a new device firmware update.

A new Wear OS Powered by Samsung firmware update was released today April 6, 2022 Please install it and see if that resolves the issue.

Ron

So since i’m working on a bigger company project i have contact to the Samsung developers directly now, they contacted me yesterday and i sent this problem among with others to them (should be the use of “Samsung Developers” forum but well…)
I will gladly share my informations with all of you. If someone will (or already has) open a topic on stackoverflow please post a link and i will join in there.
(my topics at the moment: wake the watch from idle with alarm, gps position through wifi without phone-connection, use of health-data-api)

i will check the new update on the BT watch since it arrived today, the LTE watch is always updated a few days later