Hour / minute / second hands images?

Does it have any performance drawbacks if I use 450*450 sized images for my hands?

I saw some examples trimmed down the hands to their width while keeping the height 450px.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thank you!

1 Like

I guess it does very little effect on performance to have larger or smaller transparent area around the actual image, since in .png files is any square area of same color/opacity described with one set of information, no matter how big that continuous area is.
On other hand it can have impact when you make hands with tap action. The full screen hand area would prevent any layer below it to be touched at any time.

1 Like

Thank you!

I have tap action underneath the hands, and it works :slight_smile: (So no tap action is set on hands, but underneath areas yes).

So there are no feature-affecting effects with it, and I haven’t noticed any performance either. Just I’ve asked if it might affect battery on long run, or similar (due to the cost of rotating a 450450px image vs rotating a 10450px one).

Speaking of which: how is GW5 rotating these images? By software or hardware? Or WFS generates 606024 images and watch just keep replacing it second-by-second?

Do you know?

1 Like

See sinjae’s response on this topic Sinjae is a Samsung Engineer.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like

Software of course this is a digital watch after all :grin:

It sends a single to the LEDs to activate them based on the code.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

1 Like

Yes, of course by software, but is it helped by hardware acceleration, like openGL, or similar? Is it utilizing the Mali-G68 graphics accelerator, or some Java or C code do matrix calculations on the image to calculate the next seconds’ pixels to be shown?

1 Like

Hello,
We have prepared a document on how creators using Watch Face Studio can optimize the watch face : Performance tips | Android Developers

The watch face design made of Watch Face Studio operates through the S/W provided by Samsung, and the S/W guarantees optimized operation including GPU acceleration in the android OS. However, since watch devices have limited h/w resources, it is recommended to follow the above performance tips.
Thanks.

4 Likes