How simple is too simple?

I had a question regarding the “Becoming a Samsung Themes Developer” video on YouTube. It can be found here: WOW! Becoming a Samsung Mobile UI Themes Designer - YouTube.

Is this video still applicable to how submissions still work? I only ask because the submission criteria states that one can be denied if their themes are too generic. However, I’ve seen themes in this video and on the theme store that seem fairly generic/simple, so I’m not exactly sure what is considered too simple. For the purposes of a submission, my designs so far are fairly subdued and less ambitious. For submission purposes, I’d rather have something simple and refined, rather than overly complex, especially given how small the application window is. For instance, one of the wallpapers in the video is just giant circles. However, the icons and fonts all gel together, so it’s pretty cohesive. Is something THAT simple still acceptable, as long as the rest of the design works together?

I’d love to be able to get feedback prior to submission, because the theme store is SO varied in regards to quality and complexity. Are there any reliable places to look online in regards to getting “pointed in the right direction” with what the judges will be looking for? Thanks so much for any help!

Yes it is pretty up to date not much has changed. Tony updates THE BLOG every time there is a change. Check that too.

> I only ask because the submission criteria states that one can be denied if their themes are too generic.

Walk around a parking lot some day and what car catches your eye. I bet it is not a off white Toyota. But if you see a Lambo or the new Vette you will look closer at it.

So don’t submit anything that is generic cookie cutter simplistic you are in competition with thousand of other applicants for a handful or approvals

Regarding the store having a lot of simple designs, yes it does. People stop and stare at the Lambo in a parking lot, but drove there in a Toyota. :slight_smile:

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations