I need help understanding PSD

After doing all the reading I needed to find out how to proceed on becoming a designer I got stuck on this step…

“• Create design portfolio
Download the design template PSD from Theme_Design_Submission_Template.zip and submit below 6 screens. Providing 2-3 different theme concept will greatly impact approval odds.”

I clicked link and told me I needed a special program to open it. I downloaded ome and it still wont open. What am I doing wrong?

Could you not open the .zip file (which is most common archive type), or those files stored inside of it?

I was able to extract and open the screenshot examples. However, when trying to open “theme store submission template " (PSD) it says " you dont have any apps that can open this file, you can search for one in play store” so I clicked “search” and it pulled up pics art. I downloaded and went back repeating steps above and same thing. So I am mega confused at this point.

This is the Adobe Photoshop program file. I do not want to disappoint you, but if you do not know the Adobe program, then you are still very far from the designer.

I make graphics on an everyday basis for fun. I’m pretty good at it. That’s why I’m trying this out. Yes I have gads to learn but doesnt mean I would be good at this. This is why I’m applying. Might work out might not. Thank you for your input though. However that still has not answered my question. Are u saying that’s the only program i can use for psd file?

Update I downloaded program u mentioned
It still wont open.

You need two programs - “7zip” to open the downloaded archive and “Adobe Photoshop” for the file inside the archive.

Ok thank you so much for your help. I’ll do more reading to try and understand all this. Gotta start somewhere.

That template is file for Adobe Photoshop (which is leading app among bitmap editors), containing layers for all the elements you could see on those “screenshots”. Those are actually exported images from the template with only selected layers visible. Btw. you can open it even with other programs supporting that format. Gimp for example is good alternative.

Thank you very much. That was quite helpful. Hopefully I will understand better soon. Trying to teach myself before I apply (will probably wait for next round to practice)

As Peter said, you can open Photoshop PSD files using free programs such as GIMP. That’s what I did when I first applied, GIMP was easy to use and the best part… FREE lol. I didn’t want to pay for Photoshop until I knew I could make some $'s.

GIMP DOWNLOAD

If you don’t have Photoshop you can use GIMP a free designer tool to open manipulate and save .psd files.

There is also a free trial version of Adobe Photoshop

But in both cases you probably are too late to learn how to use the tools and submit them in time for this review period.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program