No Bluetooth connection during physical activity

The BLE (Low Energy Bluetooth) connection between a glucose sensor and an app on Samsung Galaxy Watch4 functions reasonable well when I sit, but during a walk or when cycling the watch app doesn’t receive glucose values anymore from the sensor. After standing still for a few minutes the watch receives glucose values again.

When a smartphone is connected to the sensor, it doesn’t have these problems.

I didn’t try out any other smartwatch, so I don’t know if it applies to WearOS in general.

The sensor used is a European FreeStyle Libre 2 Sensor.

The WearOS and Android Smartphone app used, Juggluco.

The following didn’t help: turning off activity detection, turning off Wi-Fi, uninstalling everything mentioned in: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/debloat-galaxy-watch-4.4324147/ (including Samsung health) and turning off Mobile battery saver in developer options.

I see in the Juggluco app description that it was updated just 4 days ago. There were Updated/new Wear OS libraries and that might be the reason. I suggest you contact the app developer on this.

If you are developing then I’d need more information on what your issue is.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

If you have problems with an app, you should naturally contact the developer, but I believe that doesn’t apply to me.
During physical activity there are constant Bluetooth connection problems.
The BluetoothGattCallback onConnectionStateChange(BluetoothGatt bluetoothGatt, int status, int newState) is constantly called with newState == BluetoothProfile.STATE_DISCONNECTED and status=133. No function from an app supplied shared library is used before that point.
I am the developer, why should I contact myself.
The app also doesn’t detect physical activity.
I see only two possibilities:
• Bluetooth connection is physically worse during movement;
• Something on the watch is programmed to behave differently during physical activity.

I am the developer, why should I contact myself.

I wasn’t sure if the question was from a developer or someone using the app.

I see only two possibilities:
• Bluetooth connection is physically worse during movement;
• Something on the watch is programmed to behave differently during physical activity.

Unfortunately neither of those is relevant to this forum and I have no idea where you can address them unless there is an Android Wear OS discussion group. If you could say this is only on Samsung smart watches or all smart watches with Wear OS Powered By Samsung maybe I could find a way to report it.

I wish I could be more of help.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

The last time I tried, the watch didn’t have these connection problems anymore. Is this the result of the last watch update? Immediately after the update the connection problems were not gone, but I have read in Evana Margain Puig & Fuad Kamal (2022) that some companies selectively turn on new features: "Once you deploy this change-neutral app update, you can then slowly enable each feature by turning on the flags. Carefully keep an eye on all important users, business and crash metrics to detect any issues. If you do detect any issues, you then can disable the feature by turning off the flag. " (p. 63).

EDIT: This post was too optimistic. The connection problems are strangely dependent on the sensor. After the sensor described in this post, I had again a sensor that functioned good while connected with my smartphone, but was unusable connected to my watch. Thereafter I had again a sensor without connection problems when connected to my watch. My current sensor seems to be again one with connection problems.