[Samsung Email] "Auto fit content" feature ignores CSS

Hey,

The “Auto fit content” feature in Samsung Email shrinks email content to fit the screen.

In HTML emails it is common to add width attributes to table and img elements to cater for Outlook Windows desktop email clients. CSS is often used to size these responsively for all other email clients.

Samsung Email seems to check for HTML elements with width attribute that has a value wider than the viewport to determine whether to shrink the email content regardless whether CSS is used to size the email responsively.

This is documented in more detail in Samsung not responsive when width attribute used in template · Issue #73 · hteumeuleu/email-bugs (github.com).

1 Like

Thank you for participating in the Samsung Developer Forum. However, this is not the correct forum for end product bug reports.

I would recommend you post at https://www.samsung.com → Click on Explore Tab → Click on Community.

Because end user questions disrupt developer discussion this thread will be removed at some point but I’ll leave it open for a short time in case others have suggestions.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your response. Apologies if this is not the right place, but I do see other developers reporting bugs on here:

I am a web developer reporting a bug in Samsung Email. The above bug examples are from other web developers who are also reporting bugs; the bugs just happens to be in Samsung Internet. I feel this forum is a better fit than the main community forum.

I am more than happy to supply reduced test cases if that helps. The linked GitHub issue in my post includes details on what Samsung Email adds to the HTML that is causing the issue.

Thanks for responding, If this is in Samsung Internet that development team does watch this forum. I’ve moved it to that forum.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

Thanks. Does the Samsung Internet development team also work on Samsung Email and how it handles HTML?

Is there a Solution to this Samsung Email Bug?
I am also a Web Developer struggling with this topic. The bug still exists and should be addressed.
I can confirm @husseinalhammad s observation that it is a problem with a width attribute in img-tags.
The results are especially bad considering nowadays you have to cater for high resolution images.