Unable to add app to "Never sleeping apps" list

Hi,

I am employed at a company working on an app which in some circumstances need to perform continuous iBeacon monitoring in the background (in context of a foreground service).

In order for the iBeacon monitoring to not get killed, we instruct our users to add our app to the “Never sleeping apps” list. However, we are hearing from many customers that when they go to “Never sleeping apps” in Setting and click the plus button, our app doesn’t appear in the list and thus it is not possible to add it to “Never sleeping apps”.

In our own testing, we have reproduced this problem on multiple Samsung devices including the S20. We usually have to to uninstall → install the app a couple times before it appears in the list of apps which can be added to “Never sleeping apps”.

Is this a known bug (and is a fix on the way)? Or is there some workaround? It’s terrible to tell our customers to uninstall → reinstall the app until it appears in that list.

1 Like

Hello,
I did not hear about this problem before.
Did you face the issue only for this specific application? Did you check with other applications?

Thanks for replying. I have only been paying attention to this for the app I’m working on as it’s the only app I need to add to the “Never sleeping apps” list.

I have seen several reports about this issue for different apps, for example:

Besides having experienced it myself, I have hear about it often from our users.

Do you have any ideas what I could try to work around this problem?

1 Like

@r.liechty_SDR I see you have commented on a related post on this forum (the second one I link to above), maybe you can help me out in this question?

I assume the app is running when you attempt to add it to the never sleep apps.
After your install are you doing a restart? I think that was the issue with the last person.

But yes I have seen this mentioned before.

Ron
Samsung Developer Team

@r.liechty_SDR I believe I installed and launched it and then went to settings to add it to “Never sleeping apps” while it was running in the background.

Is it required that an app currently runs in the background to show up in the list of apps to add to “Never sleeping apps”? - and is a phone reboot required (or a workaround for this problem)?

I always restart my devices after adding software no matter what the device. Since this seems to work sometimes and not other times it is a logical reason.

If that does not resolve it please respond again. I’ve seen this reported before but no one has followed up saying it the issue was resolved. I just have to assume it was.

Ron
Samsung Developer Team

Perhaps it is already set to never sleep via optimized apps setting? If you want to see it under never sleep, perhaps try adding the app to optimized apps list first. (Apps > Special Access > Optimize battery usage > all > check app) Then it should appear in the list that allows you to add to never sleep list? But either way it achieves intended effect to let it run in background without killing app i guess. This was the case for me.

4 Likes

Maybe it is now set to never rest through enhanced applications setting? Assuming you need to see it under never rest, maybe have a go at adding the application to enhanced applications list first. (Applications > Special Access > Optimize battery use > all > check application) Then it ought to show up in the rundown that permits you to add to never rest list? Yet, whichever way it accomplishes planned impact to allow it to run in foundation without killing application I presume. This was the situation for me.

Blockquote

Follow the steps I hope it might be helpful to you: Navigate to and open Settings, and then tap Battery and device care. Tap Battery, and then tap Background usage limits. The following settings will be available: Put unused apps to sleep: If you haven’t used an app in a while, it will automatically be put to sleep.

I read at another manufacturer since android 10 or 11 apps need to be WHITE listed by the manufacturerto appear in that never sleep list. in this case this would be Samsung

also Samsung does not whitelist another app.

please anyone who can reach Samsung in their native language, try to get them to add BigBlueButton BBB beta app, too.

Thank you.

Hi Samsung developers team,

I would like to ask if Samsung fixed this issue or there’s a solution for thiat

As same issue I am facing when use app depends on beacon BLE which requires to allow the app works in background .
Please check my testing steps I did as follows:
1- Allow the app to work in background.
2- When try to add the app at no sleep app feature, can’t find the app.
4- Then I disabled app to work on the background.
5- then the app will be displayed and can add at no sleep feature.

My finding that something like Samsung phone got a bug .

So I assume Samsung should allow to display all the apps at allow app to work in background and disable app from sleep features at the same time. Then user can select , not when enable one disappear from other.

Please help to chk and update.

Thanks

I had this issue where the app was missing from the never sleeping list. I discovered for me it happened because I had previously set the app to "unrestricted’ in app info > battery. I changed it back to “Optimized” and then it showed in the list again.

4 Likes

Changing back to OPTIMIZED then allowed the app to show back up on list to add to never sleeping apps…so the above suggestion DID work…TY…(Google Home was my example.)

3 Likes

Hi yes there is a solution. I just worked it out, i went to apps on my galaxy s23 ultra and chose the app (AVG) and clicked on battery then changed to optimised then went back to accessibility and never sleeping app clicked plus sign and avg was there this time and i added it

1 Like