WFS Build Keys and Passwords?

For the GWS, all I needed to do to build a watch was to enter the author certificate password.

In WFS, I am looking at these required fields:

• Keystore Path
  • Keystore Password
  • Key alias
  • Key Password

Any pointers appreciated. I can’t run on a device to check real results until it is built.

1 Like

You have to create a Keystore folder for example C:\users\USERNAME\WatchFaceStudio\Keystore
I used the Samsung Certificates folder
The default key ailas is Key0 I made mine WFS_Key
you make up the key password I used the same as the Author Certificate

See this page for distribution to PlayStore

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Thanks Ron. I was able to build a watch face. But the Run on Device doesn’t see my S3 watch, either through a scan or through the IP. WiFi is on, developer mode, same as with the GWS. The help file seems to imply the PC has to be on WiFi as well as the watch, but I am assuming having the same subnet is fine.

I guess even if WFS connected to your S3, it would not do anything with it, as it is not compatible.
The documentation page might show misleading image, but it would be interesting, if it unexpectedly worked somehow.

1 Like

Thanks for the note, Peter. I was pleased to see that the Gyro function in WFS works better than it does in GWS, but was hoping to confirm that on my S3 watch.

Watch Face Studio only runs on “WearOS Powered by Samsung” That image was from a beta version. I’ll note it needs to be updated but it is on Android Developers Forum so it may take some time.

Ron
Samsung Developers Relations

When running the conversion program, I get to the BUILD screen, but don’t know what to put for ALIAS and PASSWORD? If I just put something in there and type a password, I get an error… “Warning, Alias does not exist”

Any idea what I’m doing wrong, or what I missed with the alias?

Thanks,

Hi,

Click on the Create New Key to create the new key and password.

The Alias is Key0 by default but make I made mine something like Watch4Key

You have to create a password I suggest you just use your Samsung Author Certificate password for it to simplify things.

You can reuse the same key and paths for different tpks the converter will remember last path used and passwords.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

Hi,

I downloaded today v1.0.0.
Create of some default simple watch face works. Then I tried build it.

As I have keystore created already for Xamarin Android App I choose path to it.

1. problem. As it is keystore for adhoc keystore password is not set => WFS always need some keystore password.
    So with keytool I imported key to new keystore with password.
    Either format of keystore is JKS or PKCS12 WFS sligthly modified error message and report that password is wrong. Not sure if it build or not. Then I cancel build dialog and I tried Run on Device.
    Later I tried to create new keystore via WFS and new key but still same problem. And as bonus warning dialog is shown without any text.

2. problem. Run on device:
    a) no problem enable on my Watch4 SM-R860 developer settings.
    b) no problem set Debug on Wifi and read IP Address in Watch
    b1) problem Scan device found nothing. Manual enter IP Address doesn’t works too. Desktop PC (wired) and Watch (wifi) are on same subnet.

c) so attempt to use bluetooth.
c1) Debug via USB on phone already enabled and checked that it is enabled.
c2) help in WFS says then open Wear companion app and in Advanced settings enable debug via Bluetooth, but I didn’t find it in Galaxy Wearable v2.2.42.21083061 (Watch 4 plugin v2.2.11.21082751)

So not able to build or debug created watchface.

I believe that is in the Android Mobile Device Developer Settings.

At least it is required for sdb debugging

Ron

In system android developer settings is only enable debug via USB and enable debug via WIFI. not via Bluetooth. Samsung S10 Android 11 security updates 1.8.2021.

but helped hint from other topic. from console run adb connect :5555
then it was visible in WFS. 2nd attempt another day don’t need it again.
=> Probably before start is needed confirm some authorization. In phone I set always allow on same wifi in mobile before 2nd attempt.

So remain only problem with build: Run on device failed with error: Build failed. Is somewhere some log output of builds to analyze what is wrong? I created primitive watch face with 4 text component: battery, heart rate, steps,date and 1 time component digital clock for time.

The good news is it didn’t delete your project when the build failed. (that has been reported to happen) I’ve lost it in the open screen but the project remained in the workspace.

If this is a Manifest error it is because you have a number as the first character in a segment.
See this TOPIC
It must have at least two segments (one or more dots).
Each segment must start with a letter.
All characters must be alphanumeric or an underscore [a-zA-Z0-9_].

When it fails take a screen shot of the error report and post that.

Ron

Problem is that on warning message is nothing"

same result is if package name is ended with lumipokus2 or lumi.pokus2

Original project I have lost: I tried imporg gwd from examples and thought that create new project but it add to existing and then I delete my components.

What I did:

1. click on build
  2. then it runs AOD check and shows this dialog
  3. put keystore and key passswrod
  4. click on build
  5. it shows progressbar for build
  6. shows this empty warning window

When I go throw run on device then it just show message: Build Failed.

Hi,

Sorry it took so long to get a reply time zone differences and weekends.
The log is located here.
C:\Users{User}\AppData\Roaming\watchfacestudio\dump\main

If you can’t figure out what the error is by yourself do not post the log here as it might have confidential information (certificate information) create a support request and submit it there. They will copy me on it.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Hi Ron, the link you gave to PlayStore distribution guide is good. But it does not explain what are the Keys and what it does. Could you please help break it down? I’m a bit slow on IT jargon and would like to get it right the first time. E.g.:

• Keystore Path - create a new location or use the one created by GWS?
  • Keystore Password - This OK, as you said use the ones with GWS
  • Key alias - What on earth is this? :slight_smile:
  • Key Password - again, we repeat with the ones we used for GWS.

Thank you

Play Store like Galaxy Store uses two keys/certificates.
Author Key tells the store who developed the app and how to contact them.
Distributor Key tells your device it is OK to install your app on that device.

For WFS these keys are kept in an encrypted file and you put the path to it. It should be in your users folder. It can be the same folder you use for GWS or one specific for WFS or a simple username/keystore folder.

Android developer are often teams building multiple versions having an key alias for each developer or project is useful.

As far as I can tell you can use the same distributor Key and Key Alias for several devices but each device would be a unique key. The Author key remains the same for all devices.

Hope that helps,

Ron

1 Like

Thank you Ron for taking the time to explain. I get it now about the Author and Distributor certificate.

Should I understand it correctly, the use of the ‘Build’ and ‘New Keystore’ should be like in the below diagram?

Am I correct?

I would not set my workspace to Galaxy Watch Studio folder
I created a new C:\users\USERNAME\WatchFaceStudio\Workspace\ folder that way the keystore and workspace folder is in the same place.

Just to be a bit clearer
in you WFS pancake menu upper left corner Preferences you set home. That is where you store your WFS projects it is often called workspace by developers
In the location is where you want the .apk and .aab files put when you build. Often that is in the Home workspace but it can be in any folder
Keystore can be in any folder but usually it is a folder in the same place as your Home folder .

Does that all make sense.

The only rule is to never put it in the same C:\Users\USERNAME\App Data\Local\Programs\Watch Face Studio folder that WFS in installed in because that may be overwritten when you do an update of WFS.

Ron

Got it. Yes, that makes sense.

As for the “Key alias” I just create new ones every time I ‘build’.

Thank you Ron

PS. My next issue “Run on device”. Despite having configured the watch to “debug over WiFi”, getting a connection the first time is luck. Have to try several times. :slight_smile:

If you run it from the command prompt before trying to run it from WFS it may work better, I seen others report that.

When I turned on ADB debugging and clicked on WiFi it said no connection I had to wait over a minute for it to connect. It isn’t the fastest thing to load after it connects so don’t rush it.

Ron

1 Like