I guess somebody asked same questions here before and it was removed as belonging more to customer than developer forum. Second question even sounds a bit like troll question, but I will still answer them.
-Why did you want to buy one when you did initially?
I wanted my Frontier for it seemed, that along with the smart features, it can display digitized version of my mechanical watch dial (that is where my GWD hobby begun).
-What functions do they perform for you that your phone alone couldn’t do?
- show time, date and other info with just turning wrist
- answer calls as hands free speaker
- answer SMS with premade texts without pulling out phone
- notify me I left room without my phone, right there without pain of noticing it later far away
- it gently but reliably notifies me about calls or messages in loud manufactory where I work without thinking of adjusting the ringtone loudness. My phone sometimes failed despite being set on loudest. With the watch I successfully use them both on mute, not disturbing anybody.
- remotely shoot the phone camera
- not very useful, but it provides sleep info
-Would you recommend the Galaxy Watch or the Galaxy Watch Active? Why?
depends to who, for classic look, little bit more sturdiness and bigger battery capacity I would recommend GW. For somebody looking forward to the new blood pressure measurement feature, I would recommend the active 2 (forget the first active one).