What is the point of a Galaxy Watch?

So I’ve just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S10+ a few months ago and its by far the most modern phone I’ve had. Throughout my time with it I’ve been discovering some of the new features and accessories you can pair with it and the watches peaked my interest. I’ve seen them on a lot of people walking around but I don’t know what extra functions they add to the device. I have a few questions for those of you that do have them:

-Why did you want to buy one when you did initially?

-What functions do they perform for you that your phone alone couldn’t do?

-Would you recommend the Galaxy Watch or the Galaxy Watch Active? Why?

I guess somebody asked same questions here before and it was removed as belonging more to customer than developer forum. Second question even sounds a bit like troll question, but I will still answer them.

-Why did you want to buy one when you did initially?
I wanted my Frontier for it seemed, that along with the smart features, it can display digitized version of my mechanical watch dial (that is where my GWD hobby begun).

-What functions do they perform for you that your phone alone couldn’t do?

1. show time, date and other info with just turning wrist
  2. answer calls as hands free speaker
  3. answer SMS with premade texts without pulling out phone
  4. notify me I left room without my phone, right there without pain of noticing it later far away
  5. it gently but reliably notifies me about calls or messages in loud manufactory where I work without thinking of adjusting the ringtone loudness. My phone sometimes failed despite being set on loudest. With the watch I successfully use them both on mute, not disturbing anybody.
  6. remotely shoot the phone camera
  7. not very useful, but it provides sleep info

-Would you recommend the Galaxy Watch or the Galaxy Watch Active? Why?
depends to who, for classic look, little bit more sturdiness and bigger battery capacity I would recommend GW. For somebody looking forward to the new blood pressure measurement feature, I would recommend the active 2 (forget the first active one).

Thank you for participating in the Samsung Developer Forum. As Peter said, this is not the correct forum for end product questions or concerns.

I would recommend you post using the Samsung Members App or at Samsung support select Contact US and then the Social tab Join the Conversation

Because end user questions disrupt developer discussion this thread will be removed soon.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

… on the other hand, Ron, this could be interpreted from a developer perspective. Why do we develop applications for Galaxy Watch? The question is immediately relevant on this forum.
I’d be very much interested reading other fellow developers story, how do they started, why Tizen applications? Take care and thank you, Miklos

Hello Miklos
This particular user with SEO links in other posts but not this one. You have a valid point and if you start a new topic as a developer I’d allow it. If you don’t I’ll keep this open.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

1 Like

I was using Apple watch, but recently i bought Galaxy watch for my wife. I love the features, will switch to galaxy :slight_smile:

I tell everyone don’t be too quick to dismiss the Galaxy Watch. I think its a great alternative to Apple’s overpriced little gadget. Sweet features and generally easy to use, though for some things, like calendars I still prefer good old fashioned pen and paper. I made the switch to Galaxy and love it! I especially like the analog face of it…Makes it kinda look like a Swiss Army watch. A powerhouse behind a simple look. Good bye Apple.