Can't "run on device" on Pixel watch

Hi,

Despite hours of struggling and research on the web, I’m still not able to “run on device” on my Pixel watch.

Watch Face Studio does not detect my watch.

I can pair my watch with my computer through wifi with ADB in command line, ADB (and watch) say that my watch is successfully paired but WFS don’t detect my watch.

I tried many things, different network (using my phone as access point), different computer, admin session, unplug my ethernet cable, connect with ip adress, and shamanic stuff.

From what I have read/understood it’s useless to try to connect throught bluetooth debugging, because it’s no longer supported.

The only thing that WFS can detect is my Pixel phone when connected with usb.

Do you have any idea to make it works ?

If it is detected then you should be able to sideload to it. That is still described in the tutorial I know at one time only Galaxy Watches were using WiFi and others had to use USB. Just set the debugging to use USB instead of WiFi.

I heard through the grapevine that Pixel watches were going to be WiFi only too but it may not be done yet (or I heard wrong).

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

I don’t understand why it’s not working, WFS don’t detect my watch.

Watch is paired.

photo_2023-04-05_21-42-18
“paired devices” : my pc

however, is it normal that “list of attached devices” return nothing ?

1 Like

Phone detected, and watch is connected to my phone.

Capture d'écran 2023-04-05 215957

There is no such option, or I can’t find it.

But it seems that I am not the only one who does not find this option

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyWatch/comments/10ps2y4/unable_to_connect_gw5_to_watch_face_studio/

on the Android phone
Settings
scroll all the way to the bottom.
tap on Software Information
find build number tap on it until it says
You are now 1 step away from being a developer.
tap again and it should ask for your phone pin number or some verification
enter it and it will enable Developer Options

go back to the Man settings screen and the last one (probably) will be Developer Options
Scroll down and it wil have USB Debugging enable that.

and I think the part in red is meant to say enable BT debugging on Watch not phone

Ron

By the way I don’t have a pixel phone or non-Samsung device so I’m not sure well it works.

Ron

Yes, I know how to enable USB Debugging on my phone. Look at my screenshots.

I’m talking about bluetooth debugging (step 4). I cant find this option in the app.

and I think the part in red is meant to say enable BT debugging on Watch not phone

Hum, I don"t think so, because step 3 says : enable bluetooth debugging on the watch.

I apologize sometimes I read what I think and not what is written. I try to avoid it, but it happened, my apology

Do you have a Samsung phone or Android Phone? I don’t see the option in the Galaxy Wearable App and that is where you turn on the bluetooth debugging on your phone.
Here is the detailed instructions but I don’t understand why it doesn’t work by WiFi.

I’ll try again to help tomorrow I’ll ask the WFS team again.

Ron

I have a Pixel 7

Here is the detailed instructions but I don’t understand why it doesn’t work by WiFi.

Enable Bluetooth debugging on the phone

• On the phone, open the Wear OS companion app.

Wear OS app not working with the Pixel watch

Watches that run Wear OS 3 are not compatible with the Wear OS app.

Pixel watch run Wear OS 3.5

So I am going to assume that you just can’t use BT and we can move on to how to connect with Wifi

Watch Face Team told me this…

If adb from WFS is not used when connecting to device, for example adb from Android studio or Other program as well as from WFS is also used in PC , the issue may is happened.

After trying to connect using Bluetooth just to see what I could do, I also got the no devices found error message. Then I remembered a trick I found 2 years ago. so do this
Just to be sure nothings cached
restart computer
shut down and restart Watch
Now go to the Watch Settings → Developer options
Make sure adb debugging and Wifi debugging is on and connected (I know you know)
scroll down a bit further and
Tap on Revoke debugging authorizations

Now the first time you try to run on device from Watch Face Studio your watch will pop up to allow debugging or something like that click yes and remember device.

After that I was able to debug over WiFi again.

Hope that works for you too.

Ron

With the ‘new’ (march) update, now pixel watches seem to have an extra step to get paired over wifi debugging. They have randomized ports now, and a “wifi pairing code” (also random ofc) which you see when you enter “Wireless Debugging” (now is a submenu).

However, I can’t for the life of me figure out how any of this works at all, let alone with watch face studio.

Has anyone figured this out? How does one USE the wifi pairing code?

For sure connecting the android phone to computer’s USB and debug over bluetooth does nothing. Step 4 noted above by Entropy is definitely not an actual step.

(I’m on a OnePlus6, my screen looks the same as above, shows my connected phone, my phone and watch obviously paired, everyone is on the same wifi as well, etc).

Right that is for pre Wear OS 3 watches. Wear 3 does not support the Wear App, that is required for BT debugging. You might check to see if there is a new Wear App for Wear 3.

Important you have to run the ADB in the Watch face Studio folder if you start it (for example in the Android Studio folder it won’t work with WFS)

Using File manager copy the address where you installed adb by default
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\WatchFaceStudio\tools\window
(copy the address as text from file manger using right click on the address bar)
Open a command prompt
navigate to the folder address
cd C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\WatchFaceStudio\tools\window
Then type
adb connect 192.168.x.x:5555 (where 192.168.xxx. is your watch’s IP address and the last :5555 is the port)
It may take a minute to connect or give a failure response
If you get a rejected error or something check your watch debugger settings.
Try in developer options to revoked permissions and force new acceptance. do the connect again.

select “run on device” within Watch Face Studio, your watch should show up. You will have to allow it the first time on your watch. I select not to ask again from the computer (but it may for get anyway).

Let us know if that worked.

Ron

Just got this working on my Pixel Watch. Here are the steps I took:

1. In Windows explorer, navigate to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\WatchFaceStudio\tools\window

2. Type cmd in the explorer window address bar to open a cmd prompt to this location.

3. On your watch navigate to Settings > Developer options > Wireless debugging > Pair new device

4. In the cmd prompt type adb pair 192.168.x.x:xxxxx (IP address & Port displayed on watch)

5. Cmd will prompt for pairing code. Enter 6-digit Wi-Fi pairing code displayed on watch.

6. In WatchFaceStudio select ‘Run on Device’ and your watch should appear.

OMG! this was the most adventury adventure!
Ok the solution is a combination of nyc_derek and r.liechty:

First problem, inside C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\ there was no WatchFaceStudio\ folder.
However, I can see that tools/window folder here:
C:\Program Files\WatchFaceStudio\tools\window

so I just super dirty made a new folder called WatchFaceStudio in teh AppData, then copy pasted the program files “watchfacestudio/tools/window” into there. Maybe not necessary, coulda probably ran from program files. (Edit: I tested again, it worked fine running from program files/watchfacestudio/tools/window/)

Second problem, adb connect errors out no matter what, always fails, no revoking helps.

Third problem, adb pair DOES pair, it friggin worked it! However, adb devices doesn’t list the watch, watch face studio doesnt see it connected either, and the wireless debugging window on the watch pops back out of the pair screen on pairing and it’s port is magically a new random port, even tho my pc says it’s paired.

THEN, THE SECRET SAUCE!

you gotta do adb pair FIRST, then adb connect with that new random port SECOND!

adb devices now lists the watch, watch face studio sees the pixel watch! it smoothly installed on the watch and i could go to "change watch face’ and its there its FINALLY THERE!

Here’s the solution all nice and formatted:
0. Optional: In settings > Developer options, click on “stay awake when charging” and attach to charger.

1. In Windows explorer, navigate to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\WatchFaceStudio\tools\window
    or
    C:\Program Files\WatchFaceStudio\tools\window

2. Type cmd in the explorer window address bar to open a cmd prompt to this location.

3. On your watch navigate to Settings > Developer options >
    Turn on ADB debugging,
    then click on Wireless debugging
    Turn it on, and then click Pair new device

4. In the cmd prompt type adb pair 192.168.x.x:xxxxx (IP address & Port displayed on watch)

5. Cmd will prompt for pairing code. Enter 6-digit Wi-Fi pairing code displayed on watch. It should say Successfully paired to 192.168.x.x:xxxxx

6. On your watch, the screen will have jumped back to Wireless Debugging, and you should see the same IP address with a new random port. Also your PC is under Paired Devices. You’re only paired, not connected.

7. Still in the cmd prompt, type adb connect 192.168.x.x:yyyyy Using the new random port listed on the wireless debugging window (you don’t need to click “pair” again, it’s listed under IP address & Port).

8. In WatchFaceStudio select ‘Run on Device’ and your watch should appear. (Also typing adb devices in the cmd prompt should also show your watch’s IP and new (current) port).

You don’t need to re-pair again so long as you don’t revoke authorization. You DO need to “adb connect latest IP and random port” every time you turn off and on “wireless debugging”. They should have called “Pair new device” as “Authorize new device”, it would have been FAR less confusing. “pair” sounds too much like “connect”, aka they mean the same bloody thing usually. Oh google you and your word choices.

I just remembered one more issue why WFS won’t connect.

If you have Android Studio or downloaded adb and it is in the system path. That will load and WFS can’t find it to connect.

So you may manually have to launch it using command prompt from the
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\WatchFaceStudio\tools\window

Ron