Differences in the compatibility of watch faces on the computer and on the phone

Hi
I have a problem with the compatibility of watch faces with devices.
When I search for my watch faces using a PC web browser, I get the information that the watch face is compatible with the indicated watch models.
When I do the same from my phone, I always get the information that the watch face is not compatible with my device.
Does anyone know where the problem is and how to fix it? :thinking:

Thank you very much for the help and the hints and answers provided.

1 Like

Hi,
I have the same problem. And we are not alone. I have no solution, yet. What I do is to note in the description of my watchfaces, that the user should use a PC or Laptop to download the app, in the event that he receives a message that his device is not compatible.

1 Like

Googleers are complicators and messy people. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Is the watch paired to your phone? I think that may be an issue.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Hi Rom,

The watch faces are uploaded with aab or apk extension?
I have reviewed the files of my galaxy watch 4, the factory pre-installed designs are with APK extension.
I have also managed to find the IDs of the installed applications to create shortcuts.
Could it be possible that more devices are recognized by creating the watch faces with android studio since it is created with the APK extension?

The .aab is about Play Store
See This Documentation

Important: From August 2021, new apps are required to publish with the Android App Bundle on Google Play.

An Android App Bundle is a publishing format that includes all your app’s compiled code and resources, and defers APK generation and signing to Google Play.

Google Play uses your app bundle to generate and serve optimized APKs for each device configuration, so only the code and resources that are needed for a specific device are downloaded to run your app. You no longer have to build, sign, and manage multiple APKs to optimize support for different devices, and users get smaller, more-optimized downloads.

I would assume that Factory preinstalled APKs are probably highly optimized without any non-Samsung code

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

@r.liechty_SDR It’s not a problem with pairing devices, it’s a problem on the google side. They release watch faces to the store without fully checking. Full stabilization of the watch face in the store and the information displayed about it takes about 5-7 days.
These are very anti-development activities. Google is doing it very badly. That’s what we’re all writing about here.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a big lack. Play Store app show “device not compatible” because the .AAB file created with WFS is only compatible with Wear OS devices. Play Store app (on phone) allows you to download only files that are also compatible with the phone and very often does not consider whether a Wear OS device is also associated with the phone and displays the message “device not compatible”. No problem by WEB browser by PC. The most frustrating thing is that we don’t know who to redirect these issues to.

4 Likes