Different version

Recently one of my watch face got this warning when build (but still works fine):

Different Version
The project is a 2.3.1 version based application, so that the project may not be working on a 4.0 platform normally.

The package created is fine, even upload to Galaxy Store is fine. It is just that the warning is irritating, and is there a setting I can changed?

I was told that the Tizen 2.3.1 will run on Tizen 4 but not optimal Which is why you get the warning.

I would suggest you create more than one binary one for the Gear S2 like you are and then build one with Tizen 4 for newer Galaxy Watches.

I believe uploading to the store is the same for Tizen Studio as it is for GWS. Here is how to do it for GWS
Step 1.
Build two .tpk files one for Galaxy Watch (Tizen 4.0) the other for old Gear models (Tizen 3.0 or less)
You need to build twice, for each build you should set different Target API version and enter different version number.

Very Important!
In your build settings
Package name should be the SAME
Version should be different
Target API version should be different

In File Manager you will see that both a xxx_TW3.tpk and xxx_TW4.tpk files are generated.

Step 2.
Upload both files at the same time.
Upload First binary
Select add more binary
Upload the second Binary

The result is that two binaries have been updated. TW4 will be downloaded by Galaxy Watch (Tizen 4.0 device) and TW3 will be downloaded by Gear S2 and S3 That haven’t been updated. A notice will appear don’t worry this is standard.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

Hi, thanks for the reply! Really appreciate your kind help.

I have no plan to continue to support Gear S2, especially for new projects. So can I just support 1 binary? (I check, Gear S3 supports Tizen 4 more than 1 year ago)

It seems that build warning just appeared on newer created projects (based on templates), not older one. I guess newer project uses 4.0 project structure, even though the version is 2.3.1.

Here are some more questions:

• I can right click an older project, and convert to Tizen Project, and changed to 4.0. What’s changed? The config still says required_version= *“2.3.1”.
  • even after conversion, I still got the same warning when build project. I assume changing required_version= *“2.3.1” to “4.0.0” will solve the issue. But if I did, I still got similar error message: “The project is a 4.0.0 version based application, so that the project may not be working on a 4.0 platform normally.”
  • by upgrading to 4.0, will my watch faces run faster on newer watches? (I found that my current watch faces since to run slower than I used to remember. Maybe it is not optimal?)

Thanks for the great help! Look forward to the reply.

Hi,

I talked to our resident Tizen expert and he said, use 4.0 instead of 4.0.0 in the config file and that should do the trick.

Regarding speed of the app compiled for Tizen 4, I’ve heard it does but then that it doesn’t matter as well. So I’m going to assume it matters on the app.

Ron

Thanks! 4.0 seems to solve the warning issue.

So by going to 4.0, I can assume all devices support hicolor already? Don’t have to test:
tizen.systeminfo.getCapability(“http://tizen.org/feature/screen.always_on.high_color”);

Another related question: if upgraded my existing apps to 4.0, what happened to Gear S2 or watches still running Tizen 2/3?

Your watch app will not appear in the store for Gear S2 or Fit devices. All S3 & Sport have been updated to Tizen 4 I don’t believe any are still running Tizen 3 unless someone intentionally refuses an update. My test app selects only Tizen 4 and all devices other than Gear S2 are included.

Ron

Hi, I updated all my apps to Tizen 4 and version 4.0 in config, and all got rejected.

All have the same reasons (our apps need to support Gear S2):

Unable to find the app due to the minimum supported OS version of Gear application.

Unable to find the app due to the minimum supported OS version of Gear application.

• Min OS version which app defined : 4.0.0.0
  • Latest OS version of Gear S2 : 2.3.2.7
1. Connect a Gear to a mobile device using Gear Manager 2. Check minimum supported OS version of Gear application and OS version of Gear device 3. Try to find the app -> Unable to find the app App just should be served for devices that have compatible OS

When you submit a round watch face to the Galaxy Apps store you must select all watches 360 x 360 watches in a group to be tested. This causes a validation error you will get because they test on S2 device and it will not install. Here is what you need to do to rectify the problem.

1. Go to the “Binary” section of the “Add New Application” web page.
  2. Upload your binaries as usual.
  3. Next to the field “Add More Binary”, click on the number behind “Selected Device(s)”, which should read about 1766 or so.
  4. A dialog window with a large list of hardware combinations shows up. Don’t get confused.
  5. In the search field at the top right enter “Gear S2” - no need to press Enter.
  6. The displayed list now only contains hardware combinations including the S2 watch.
  7. Now check the check box “Select all”.
  8. Despite the message still reads 1766 devices selected", you have in fact deselected all S2 combinations, about 314+
    9.Click the “Save” button at the bottom.
  9. The dialog window closes and your device number(s) should now be down to 1454 or so.
  10. Save and then submit

If you can update the rejected app that is basically the same process just click on the red number of “devices”.

Ron

Thanks! I have now done these for 2 of our apps and see what happened.

The numbers I saw are lesser (not sure why?) - from 1500+ to 1100+ after deselect Gear S2. Maybe some phone+watch models not offered?

You did use “Gear S2” not S2 because that removes the Galaxy S20 as well gear S2.

I got my numbers when I updated my GWS test watch face. But I think a Tizen Studio created Watch Face should be the same.

If it gets approved try uploading one with the minimum version 3.0 and see if that supports more.

If you get the same supported devices, I can create a sample test with Tizen Studio and see what I get.

Ron

Yes, I use Gear S2.

When select all, the figure is 1503. When removed Gear S2, the figure is 1159.

There is about 350 S2 combinations so that sounds right for a total from 1159. All I can suggest now is you look at the list of supported devices and see if you see something missing.

Ron

If “All” is selected it is 1503 - that’s nothing we can do, right?

I’m sorry for the delay in replying. I can’t do this from my work computer because of firewalls and I kept forgetting to do it from home.

I get 1503 now for Tizen Studio and Galaxy Watch Designer.

I am going to assume that when I tried to change binary a month ago and got that higher number they were testing some other Device / Phone combinations for future use. Something like that happened a couple years ago.

Ron

The Tizen 4.0 watch faces we uploaded were approved after removing Gear S2.

Thanks for all the help!

Hi, just to feedback an issue we faced after updating to version 4 for our photo watch faces.

The watch faces got approved, but we discovered that when the watch restarted, the photos (which are links to the photos on watch) disappeared.

Since the only changes we have done is the system upgrade, we downgrade to 2.3.1 and upload again. The watch faces got approved, and the issues solved. Looks like permission problem?