Getting Samsung Distributor Certificate

Today I have managed to successfully build a watch face in Galaxy Watch Studio and install it on Galaxy Watch Active2. I hope that listing everything I did to progress can help others work around the certificate issue.

• On Galaxy Watch Active2:
    • Enabled Debugging
    • Connected to Wi-Fi
    • Enabled Always On Wi-Fi
  • On PC, downloaded:
  • Installed Tizen Studio and Galaxy Watch Studio
    • Paired Tizen Studio to the Galaxy Watch Active2:
      • Clicked Tools->Device Manager->Remote Device Manager->Add Device
      • Typed in the IP address of the watch which is visible in its Wi-Fi settings
      • Accepted the popup on the watch
    • Attempted to generate certificates with no result, as described in my earlier post
    • Uninstalled Tizen Studio
    • changed the Windows Default Browser setting from Edge to Chrome at Start->Settings->Apps->Default Apps->Web Browser
    • Reinstalled Tizen Studio
    • Restarted the PC
  • After the above:
    • Tizen Studio began to successfully launch the Samsung Account login page!
    • I was able to generate certificates at Tools->Certificate Manager->Add New->Samsung->Mobile/Wearable:
      • Created a new certificate profile (which I named “Rita”)
      • Created a new author certificate and left the “Apply the same password” box checked
      • Clicked OK and the Samsung Login Portal appeared in Chrome alongside a window with a 5-minute timer
      • When my login was successful, the page redirected to http://localhost:4794/signin/callback which displayed “Login Successful. Please continue on the Certificate Manager UI”
      • Created a new distributor certificate
      • Selected my paired Galaxy Watch Active2’s DUID which automatically appeared in the list
  • Closed Tizen Studio, then found certificate files in C:\Users\Spurdo\SamsungCertificate\Rita.
    • Copied all the contents of C:\Users\Spurdo\SamsungCertificate\Rita to three locations, after removing any preexisting files from the other locations:
      • C:\Program Files\Galaxy Watch Studio\tizen\keystore
      • C:\Users\Spurdo\GearWatchDesigner\keystore
      • C:\Users\Spurdo\Downloads\Fit2Installer\cert
  • Opened/created my Rita.gws file in Galaxy Watch Studio
    • I had a space in a project name, and that caused an error in Fit2Installer and I was unable to refactor the space out of the .gws file despite attempting to with a hex editor. I was only successful after recreating the project from scratch in GWS with no spaces in any project name strings.
    • Clicked Project->Build
      • Yes and Generate to AOD popups
    • Clicked Project->Build again
      • Yes to save project
      • Typed the author certificate password
      • Clicked build
      • Clicked OK on “Warning signing fail keystore password was incorrect” popup (ignore)
    • Closed Galaxy Watch Studio
  • This time, Galaxy Watch Studio was able to generate C:\Users\Spurdo\Rita_TW5.tpk
    • Moved Rita_TW5.tpk to C:\Users\Spurdo\Downloads\Fit2Installer\sign_me
  • Held down Shift and while holding Shift, right-clicked in the Fit2Installer folder
    • Clicked “Open PowerShell window here”
    • Typed .\sdb.exe connect 192.168.120.64:26101 because 192.168.120.64 was my Galaxy Watch Active2’s IP address
    • Typed .\sign.bat
    • Entered the certificate password again
    • Typed .\install.bat
  • On Galaxy Watch Active2:
    • Pressed the home button and touched Settings->Apps->Permissions->Rita->Sensors toggle ON. It took me a long time to realize that apps sideloaded this way cannot access Samsung Health Service data unless you do that every time you install them.
    • Pressed the home button and touched Settings->Watch Faces->Rita
  • Finally I am able to see my watch face from Galaxy Watch Studio on the Galaxy Watch Active2 screen!
7 Likes