Interactive Watch Face: Show Enable/Disable Power Savings

I am in the process of creating my own watch face for my Galaxy Watch 4 as none of the default ones work well for my needs. I currently use a default watch face where I can click on the battery status and then it brings me to a new screen that shows the battery percentage and more importantly the option to enable/disable power savings. How can I do the same? The documentation doesn’t go into those details unless I look at the wrong document.

Hello,
as you write about Galaxy watch4 in section for Galaxy watch studio for Tizen, first I want to make clear, wheter you use the right program for making your watch face.

For watches with TizenOS (last watch model with this was Galaxy watch 3) it is galaxy watch studio.
For watches with new wearOS (like the Galaxy watch 4) it is watchface studio.

With watch face studio there is only a little info in documentation about actions you can add to elements on the face, but it says you can make the watch to open various apps by tap on the element.

1 Like

Thanks! I guess I was using the wrong program. It’s a bit confusing how they name the different programs… I think I am even posting on the wrong forum, then. Watch Face Studio seems to be a step backwards as it doesn’t even have predefined “gadgets” for number of steps made, current heart beat, battery life, etc.

I think the actual step back was the OS it self, but on the other hand it seems, it helped to develop new tool, that is more powerful in different areas.

1 Like

Long story short. GWD/GWS had an inside advantage that no independent developer had.

Health is a proprietary algorithm and GWS was a Samsung Tool that could access the private API and control how data was shared, stored and displayed. Wear OS uses Wear OS Health Services, there is no Samsung Health SDK for Wear OS.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Ah, got it. So up to Galaxy Watch 3 it was Samsung’s own OS and so they could do whatever they wanted. Now with the Watch 4 they use the “standard” WearOS and so Samsung is restricted by what this OS allows which influenced Watch Face Studio. If that’s the case then I wonder if there isn’t another app to design watch faces, e.g. a program provided by WearOS that offers more options than Watch Face Studio.

Actualy there is a tool called Android studio, where you can code apps for android phones same as faces for wear OS (former android wear). But it needs programmer skills, it is not dedicated to create just watchfaces.
Then there are also third party apps like facer, watchmaker or mr.time focused on faces, but paid to access more than basic functions.

1 Like

While Samsung created WFS and maintains it, all documentation and everything is on the Android developer site. WFS is not a Samsung product.

No individual has access to Samsung Health data on Wear OS there is no API for WFS or any other tool to get that information. You have to be a Privileged Health Partner and sign contracts and be financially secure to be a Privileged Partner

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations