Invalid weather API key

I signed up for https://home.openweathermap.org/ and when i pasted the API key on GWS, it says the key is not valid. Please help.

Silly question but I have to ask, was your computer connected to the internet at the time you tried to activate it?

It may be that you tried to enter the API key before it was fully registered try it again.
Or it may be that the newer OpenWeatherAPI is not supported by GWS.

GWS is pretty old and deprecated. Are you using GWS 2.0 or GWS 2.0.1 if it is 2.0.1 try uninstalling it and use GWS the previous version GWS 2.0.0. I think that 2.0.1 introduced many bugs and provided no improvements other that it runs on a Mac.

Ron
Samsung Developer Relations

Using GWS 1.6.2 due to gear fit 2 limited support.
API error shows a location ( Seoul) in the callback to open weather to authorize the key. Open weather now requires longitude and latitude to accept the key.

Where can I change the call back to open weather so it satisfies the new format?

Thanks
KS

@Ks810u812

I selected Edit → preferences at the bottom
selected weather
Then I entered the API key activated it and then selected my home location

Oh year if you are in Seoul it might come up as a train station or an airport depending on where you select it

Ron

Hi Ron, I didn’t read all the documentation.
It takes a few hours for the key to be activated on their end.

Thank you for your patience.

KS

One last question , if you don’t mind. After I activate the key and am able to “select location”, clicking this button brings up a window with only a white blank screen with nothing to select and “ok” and “cancel” at the bottom. What am I missing?

It is a world map but the initial setting is for 10M hit the minus button until you get it to 500 km and it will make sense move the map by dragging and dropping. When you get to your general location enlarge and recenter and enlarge then click on where your location is. I could get my house number when I enlarged to 50m

Don’t be upset if it isn’t your City the location is the weather reporting station location. Like an airport or train station

Ron

Hi Ron, I have the “select custom location” window open with no buttons and no map. Only a white window with two buttons, “ok” and “cancel” at the bottom. I thought maybe I was missing a file or plug-in or something.
I’ve tried two different computers, with two different OS (win 8.1 and win 10) and two different versions of the Gear designer (1.6.2 and 2.0.1)

Thank you.

When you click on set location you should see this below.
I’m not sure if the indicator dot is there for first time unless you click on the map. If you don’t have the + and - restart GWS maybe even restart your computer to clear any caches.

Ron

I am afraid none of those things worked.

I have the same window as you, but no plus or minus, no scale, no terms of use. Do you have any other ideas?
Thanks.

What version of GWS are you using? What version of software, And what version of Java JRE are you using?

Ron
Ron

Hi Ron (sorry new account).
GWD 1.6.2 build 181019.

Java version 8 u391.

Win 10 home ver. 22h2 build 19045.3930.

I also have both 32 bit and 64 bit Java installed

GWD 1.6 does require the 32 bit Java but I have the 64 bit Java installed for the newer versions of GWD/GWS. I’m also running Windows 11 so I might be seeing something different because of that.

It just sounds like a Java Runtime issue but I don’t know.

what is the weather location in the preview in GWD on your computer? On the watch it goes by the Watches location. In my home town there are 2 weather towers and it depends on where I’m at which one it shows.

Ron