macOs Big Sure Beta: Cannot open TS 3.7 (NullPointerException)

Hi,

i have updated my mac top Big Sur Beta and cannot start Tizen Studio anymore. Seems the be a problem with Eclipse, here is the Error log:

!SESSION 2020-06-29 14:17:01.559 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=3.7
java.version=1.8.0_242
java.vendor=Amazon.com Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en
Framework arguments:  -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=MOZILLA
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=MOZILLA

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2020-06-29 14:17:03.861
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.internal_new_GC(Control.java:2178)
        at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.GC.<init>(GC.java:174)
        at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.GC.<init>(GC.java:135)
        at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.initializeDialogUnits(Dialog.java:934)
        at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.TitleAreaDialog.createContents(TitleAreaDialog.java:142)
        at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:426)
        at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.create(Dialog.java:1096)
        at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:783)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.ChooseWorkspaceDialog.prompt(ChooseWorkspaceDialog.java:114)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.promptForWorkspace(IDEApplication.java:364)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.checkInstanceLocation(IDEApplication.java:278)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:141)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:653)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:590)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1499)

I’m pretty sure you aren’t supporting this version right now but the release comes this year and maybe it also help you - anyway i try my luck here and maybe some one has a helpful answer.

I saw a similar report with Galaxy Watch Studio that is also Eclipse based IDE. I believe the issue is that the Mac Beta has a newer version of Java that isn’t supported and the path does not see the older version.

I suggested they try FAQ 5 HERE

Also Mac allows more than one Java and you can change the GWS pinfo file to point to the Java 8 version. But the user did not respond if that helped or not. You can submit a support request on this issue.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

Hi Ron,

thanks for your response. I doesn’t use GWS, just Tizen Studio (curently developing TV + FH, GW will be added later) but i will look for a pinfo file and also try out to point to a different java version.

I will come back after,

Julian

I now installed java 1.8 (https://stackoverflow.com/a/32811065) and update JAVA_HOME with:

I checked the FAQ but i’m not sure what to enter. Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/ ist empty.

My JAVA_HOME is now /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/adoptopenjdk-8.jdk/Contents/Home

$ java -versionsays:
openjdk version “1.8.0_252”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 1.8.0_252-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

I am not sure that OpenJDK will work I know it won’t work on Windows. You can download the JRE from Oracle Java Download Page.

If that doesn’t work we do have Mac machines in support and they can help with more directions open a support request HERE

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

1 Like