macOs Big Sure Beta: Cannot open TS 3.7 (NullPointerException)

Hi,

i have updated my mac top Big Sur Beta and cannot start Tizen Studio anymore. Seems the be a problem with Eclipse, here is the Error log:

!SESSION 2020-06-29 14:17:01.559 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=3.7
java.version=1.8.0_242
java.vendor=Amazon.com Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en
Framework arguments:  -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=MOZILLA
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=MOZILLA

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2020-06-29 14:17:03.861
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.internal_new_GC(Control.java:2178)
        at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.GC.<init>(GC.java:174)
        at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.GC.<init>(GC.java:135)
        at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.initializeDialogUnits(Dialog.java:934)
        at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.TitleAreaDialog.createContents(TitleAreaDialog.java:142)
        at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:426)
        at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.create(Dialog.java:1096)
        at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:783)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.ChooseWorkspaceDialog.prompt(ChooseWorkspaceDialog.java:114)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.promptForWorkspace(IDEApplication.java:364)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.checkInstanceLocation(IDEApplication.java:278)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:141)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:653)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:590)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1499)

I’m pretty sure you aren’t supporting this version right now but the release comes this year and maybe it also help you - anyway i try my luck here and maybe some one has a helpful answer.

I saw a similar report with Galaxy Watch Studio that is also Eclipse based IDE. I believe the issue is that the Mac Beta has a newer version of Java that isn’t supported and the path does not see the older version.

I suggested they try FAQ 5 HERE

Also Mac allows more than one Java and you can change the GWS pinfo file to point to the Java 8 version. But the user did not respond if that helped or not. You can submit a support request on this issue.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

1 Like

Hi Ron,

thanks for your response. I doesn’t use GWS, just Tizen Studio (curently developing TV + FH, GW will be added later) but i will look for a pinfo file and also try out to point to a different java version.

I will come back after,

Julian

I now installed java 1.8 (https://stackoverflow.com/a/32811065) and update JAVA_HOME with:

I checked the FAQ but i’m not sure what to enter. Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/ ist empty.

My JAVA_HOME is now /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/adoptopenjdk-8.jdk/Contents/Home

$ java -versionsays:
openjdk version “1.8.0_252”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 1.8.0_252-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

I am not sure that OpenJDK will work I know it won’t work on Windows. You can download the JRE from Oracle Java Download Page.

If that doesn’t work we do have Mac machines in support and they can help with more directions open a support request HERE

Ron

1 Like

Thanks for the help - tried FAQ 5 and it also does not work.

Have to pause development for now.

Tizen Studio 3.7 does not require Java (it has it’s own version included) Try installing it and see if that solves the problems.

Ron

Isn’t this thread is about Tizen Studio 3.7 cannot work on Big Sur?

is it possible to know the current Tizen Studio version (which cannot be launched right now)? I have upgraded from Tizen Studio itself, and it is updated later than April (Tizen 3.7 release date).

I think I gave some bad advice on this, It is so easy to try and fix what you know and not what the error is. Right now I suggest you create a support request and perhaps they can find a solution based on the error message, I don’t have a Mac system to experiment on.

Ron

Hi, thanks for helping! Really glad that you have been given advice to us developers so far.

Since macOS Big Sur is still in beta, is it OK to create a support request (since it is not supported)?

You can always create a support request but there isn’t much that we can do about it except let the Tizen team know.

Did you do a new reinstall of Tizen Studio after installing the beta OS? if not try uninstalling Tizen Studio and reinstalling it first.

Ron

I have created a support request for it (following the link given above).

Tizen Studio still cannot launched in beta 4 of macOS 11.

On Windows, not Mac and not Beta OS
I installed an incompatible version of Java and had that listed in the environmental path.
Then I installed Tizen Studio 3.7 and attempted to launch it and it gave an error.
I changed the path to Tizen Studio\JDK and launched correctly. Something to try.

There may be a .plist setting for that too.

Ron

The reply I got: give it a try!

In the meanwhile, please check if you are using Oracle JDK 8 and set the path of JDK in sdk.info file present in Tizen Studio folder. JDK_PATH= line has to be added in sdk.info file.

I am having this same issue. Has Samsung Support come up with a solution ?

For Tizen 3.7 on the Mac I believe the solution is to remove Java JRE and the JAVA_PATH unless you need it for something else and use the Tizen Studio built in version. If you need it for something else try setting them to the Tizen-Studio/jdk

Ron

This is not a sound solutions because I have other apps needing Java.

I tried adding the path to the local sdk.info but that yielded the same error.

Is your team working on a solution?

Just to be sure you are running the Mac Beta Big Sur? The solution for some other version may be different.

Read this page regarding Galaxy Watch Studio and Java both Tizen Studio and GWS are eclipse based but Tizen Studio has it built in now.

also see Q 05 in the GWS FAQ. on how to set .plist settings I think that may be easier to set it for Tizen Studio on particular.

Finally Open a support request although you think this is the same error it may be something entirely different.

Ron

Same problem can’t run Tizen Studio on Mac Beta Big Sur! I did reinstall it and everything …

If anyone has found a way to run it please let us know

There are several solutions on Stack Overflow please try them and let us know if any work Tizen Studio uses the Eclipse IDE

Ron