New Intellectual Property email from Samsung

Ron,
In an effort to not inundate you with individual emails, perhaps some clarification is appropriate in the forum.

With regard to the email that Samsung sent out about the new intellectual property rules, I take them to mean this.

If your watch face has a text name printed on it, which could refer to what you intend to call it, there are two things that need to be kept in mind.

1. The name you print on the face can’t be in the list that was included in the email (which is very long by the way), and…

2. You need to add a line at the end of your watch face description that calls out the text you print on the face. I assume this will make it easier for Samsung to see the text in a common place without searching everyone’s faces for it.
    [Watchface Keyword]
    word1, word2, etc.

Also, I assume you don’t need to put any text you use for labels (steps, floors, etc.) into the keyword text. Am I missing anything?

The list of words is entertaining LOL. “Accessorize” is IP protected? :slight_smile:

That is my understanding too. In this case the keyword is “keyword” not descriptive words.

This is so they can scan for text for banned keywords, They can not scan for text in images. Since Sellers signed an agreement that they are responsible for any infringement it is to their best interest to have stuff scanned.

If you had a brand Accutron and aren’t as old as me you might not know it was a copyrighted watch name. This would protect you as it would be found prior to publication.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program

1 Like

I believe there is a watch brand that uses that term in their marketing. With words it is how they are used in conjunction with a product.

Ron

1 Like

I also have a question regarding this. I have a watch face that is called “Aviator”. The watch face normally went through the review process and released but later in time, an update of the face was rejected due to this word reference to Aviator Watches.

In the list, the word is “AviatorWatches” so does this still count as a copyrighted word?

Thanks

1 Like

A clarification to better understand …

I have inserted in some images sentences like “Aod not available on Samsung Gear S2”:

In this case, should I enter “Samsung, Gear, S2” under keyword?

Or “Samsung, Galaxy, etc” may not be mentioned?

Thank you

I think that it’s, very unclear at the moment. Personally I believe that you can use Samsung proprietary words since you develop for Samsung and the content is on Samsung’s page.

Also a question is, will a visitor see the keywords in the description or will they be hidden?

While I believe that the intention is to speed up the review process, I believe that it will result in the opposite if rejections will apply. That would mean that the team will need to review at least twice!

I looked and “Samsung”, “Gear”, “S2” and “Galaxy” are not listed in the Banned Words list.

1 Like

That is a good point because I took the email to mean any word on the actual watch face, not the promotion images in the store. However we can’t use IP protected words in our store images either, so do they want us to list all words used on those eight images?

I also notice in Facebook groups that some people advertise their watch faces with IP protected words and images, but I guess that would just get the FB groups in trouble!

For many words it is how they are used not the word. Samsung can be used as a descriptive word. for example for Samsung Galaxy Watch3. But if you implied that Samsung created or authorized the product in some way, for example Samsung Chronograph Watch that is not legal.
Navigator as a car model is not IP infringement, Navigator as a watch model is.

Also don’t assume that the list is comprehensive and if you use a watch named oyster perpetual that you will be able to pass review.

Ron

1 Like

So just some more clarity on this subject please…

1. Do we need to go back to all our designs and add the words in the description field if we have any?

2. These are words on the watch face other than shortcuts, like steps, alarms, etc?

So if I understand correctly, this is Branding on your Face.

Be sure to do it if you update the app or modify the images.

If you have any of the banned words in images and they are reported the seller account will be terminated without appeal. So if you have any change the images quickly and update the description.

Ron

Hi Ron and colleagues!

I am completely confused, the file contains lines with a set of numbers 1245678101112 and 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12 in the set there is no number 3 and 9, I understand correctly that you cannot use on the dial 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12 or I do not understand something?! For example, there are official dials from Samsung with a set of numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Can anyone give an explanation? Thank you!

You can not use those specific text words not sets of numbers. So your watch face can have the hours with the 3 and 9 missing but you couldn’t put in your product description watch includes hours 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12

Ron

Thanks for the answer Ron!

So dials of the same kind as in the example (photo) with a generally accepted dial in a circle can be used and there will be no problems?

Yes the instructions are "If there are Words in your watch face image. Those are numbers for your clock.

I’m not sure if watch face image they mean just the dial or the descriptive text as well. I’d be careful on the descriptive text around your image as well as watch face description page.

Ron

I heard from the review team and to the listing of keywords only are required for new uploads and updated watch face apps.

The purpose is checking keywords in images automatically by our review system.

Ron

I missed this earlier. You can not use Samsung descriptive word for your watch or in the watch face. You can use the watch and mobile types as descriptive of use.

I do not believe that buyers will see the keyword list it should be hidden that is why it is at the end and tagged.

By speeding up the process I mean they reviewers can use automated testing instead of visually having to check each and every image.

Ron

Thanks Ron, unfortunately now I am even more confused… Anyway, I will avoid using the words in the file and type the text from the images in the description tag

I was referring that it might result in more time because if mistakes will happen from the developer side due to unclarity, rejection will apply. The dev will resubmit and that means that the team will review twice!

Thanks

This would be no different than if they were visually checked instead of automated. It is going to happen and I expect sellers will have content suspended and possibly sellers terminated.

There has been a slow and steady process to crack down on IP infringement over the past year and a half.

Ron